Melafix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dax29

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm currently treating my 29 gallon tank with Melafix for fin rot. The affected cory is in the 10 gallon QT with Melafix. I took the activated carbon filters out of my 2 power filters and I'm treating the tank according to directions on the bottle. Is the absence of these activated carbon filters for the 7-day treatment period going to cause problems with my tank? Is there something I should be doing to prevent problems from occurring such as changing the temperature, my feeding schedule, or doing a water change everyday during the treatment? Just being cautious.

There won't be any problem with the activated carbon missing. To be perfectly honest, most of the time activated carbon in an aquarium filter does nothing. 8O The reason it is there is to absorb any trace toxins that might be present in the water. Very rarely is that a real issue; I have heard of experienced aquarists who do not use activated carbon at all, have not used it for years in fact, and have not had any detrimental effects on their fish.

As for your tanks, only water change if you start seeing an ammonia or nitrite spike. Personally I would add a little salt if you don't already have salt in your water; I know corys are supposed to be "sensitive" to salt, but in my tank I keep salt at a constant 1 tablespoon per 10 gallons and it doesn't seem to affect the corys negatively at all.

I wouldn't change temp, unless you were convinced the fin rot was bacterial and getting worse despite your treatment, at which point I would lower temp a bit (bacteria reproduce faster in warmer water). In general it sounds like you are doing everything you should be doing.

Melafix answer

Thanks. I appreciate the help. I'll just keep plugging away.

Back
Top Bottom