melafix and prazipro?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GH 120
KH 240
pH 8.0
NO2&3 is 0
and that's with the api test strips

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130630_131538.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130630_131538.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 63
oh and I didn't do a WC yesterday, so the melafix and salt hasn't been refreshed yet. I was going to buy some new meds today. how do I switch to different meds?

Did you get an ammonia test yet? It looks like the beginnings of ammonia burn but it also could be burn from the melafix. Start doing some big wcs to help remove it and run new carbon for a few hours afterwards to remove any that may be remaining before switching meds.

thanks I'll keep you updated. I'm going to purchase supplies today

new carbon??

I am not sure what your question is. I don't know what type of filter media you use but if you remove it to a bucket of tank water and place a bag/filter cartridge with new carbon in it in your filter housing and run it for 2-3hrs this should remove any remaining melafix (to a point anyway as its oily). You can then put your old media back in.

oh okay I was confused for a moment, I have an Aquaclear. I took the carbon media out when i started the mela and I just plopped it back in

So I just got Macryn plus in the mail. I'm going to do a wc, pull out the carbon filter, and medicate according to the back. It says to add 10 mL per 10 gallons, and treat on day 1,3 and 5. Not to be a typical blonde, but what exactly does this mean? 10mL per 10gallon on those days? WC in between?

Does it say do a wc in between? If you do just do 25% or less. You want to keep ammonia down. I would just dose according to instructions.

Yes, dose on those days but I would do big wcs before redosing as we don't know what your ammonia levels are. With zero nitrite and nitrate and signs of ammonia burn, I suspect they are high. Do a big wc before starting treatment as well.

I bought an ammonia test but when I got home it didn't have the test tube! I used a mason jar instead and the levels appeared to be between .25 and .5

Okay, freaking out! My last day of adding the macryn plus was on Saturday. The old goldfish has lost some of his brown spots and the small one with the ulcer appears to be healing. So today I tested the water because the old goldfish was clamping up, once again, but everything appeared to be within normal parameters. It's really hard to tell with the ammonia test since I have yet to snag a vial and am using a mason jar (I know, terrible fish keeper), but I eyeballed it as yellow. So I did a 20% WC. Ph: 7.5
Anyways, I left for a couple hours and when I came home the goldfish were clamped and sitting completely still at the bottom! The little ulcer dude was up in the corner floating half sideways and motionless. So I immediately did a 70% WC. The ammonia appeared more green this time round, maybe .25ish. So they got excited with the WC and were swimming but now they are back on the bottom once again!!! What to do?!
I also added salt. I think if my old goldfish dies, I'm gonna lose it.

also, the old one developed red around his gills in the past few days

and I just noticed a white tip on the tail and front fin on the ulcer fish

Do you have a baby med syringe? These typically measure either in 1.25 or 5mls. You need 5mls (1tsp) of tank water for the ammonia test- anything more will dilute the test results which means your ammonia level is higher than what the test reads. Their behavior sounds like your ammonia level is actually higher than what you are seeing. I would stick to the wcs to try and keep things in check.

I was using 5mL with the mason jar, but the problem was that it was spread across the bottom and was extremely hard to compare to the color chart. So I snagged a test tube and just tested the water. 0 ammonia. I also bought some prime, I'm about to dose. They look better today. And I'm feeling better now that I can test. I feel like I messed up the cycle when I added the new fish, along with overloading the tank with waste, so now it's recycling?

Back
Top Bottom