Melafix and Primafix questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joannde

Aquarium Advice Addict
One of my guppies was looking a bit "under the weather" - he was hanging at the bottom of the tank and did not eat for 2 days. Since I"m going away for 4 days and leaving my poor sweet husband with all the animals I figured I'd QT the guppy so that he'd be easier to keep an eye on.

Tank parameters are fine (0 NH3, 0 NO2, 10NO3 per water change). Just this one little guppy seems to be affected. Another guppy (the only mosaic that I had) suffered a similar fate last week and died :( (I just can't seem to keep guppies - I think the 8.4 pH is just too high for them).

The point of this post ... I have the guppy in a 2.5G unfiltered tank. I added 1.2ml each of Melafix and Primafix yesterday. Today I did a 30% water change. The instructions on the meds say to dose daily for 7 days, but when I did that water change today I could still strongly smell the meds. Am I really supposed to add a full dose every day ????

I need to leave instructions with my husband and I"m at a loss on what to tell him ! I'm thinking of just leaving everything as is for the 4 days - no water changes, no more meds. OR I could have him do 50% water changes and 1/2 dose of meds .... OR 50% water changes and full dose of meds .... OR no water changes and full dose of meds. LOL, can you see why I'm confused ??

If there isn't a lot of water movement, the meds will stay in the water longer. Try 50% changes and half doses.

Thank you :) I'll give it a try. Hopefully the little dude will be around when I get back from my trip in 4 days.

Back
Top Bottom