methane blue?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HOLLIEO

Aquarium Advice Freak
Isn't methane blue used to add to newly laid eggs, to prevent disease?
What happens if you add to a tank full of live bearers (guppy's, molly's, and two goldfish)???

I hope you're talking about methelene blue. I wouldn't want anything to do with methane.
It is used for eggs, but it's also anti-bacterial. I use it in my tanks without carbon as a preventative.(not a full dose, just a few drops)

Kim

The only thing that I use Meth Blue for is eggs, to help prevent them from fungasing over. I do this with the spawns that get pulled.

Bryan

ha, ha... Yes. I meant Methelene. I just can't spell.
I was just wonering, because a friend just added some to his tank because one of the mom guppy's just had babies. I told him that was intended for eggs and you may have just invited dealth to visit the tank. :wink:
I wasen't sure if it really would harm the fish or not, but the goldfish are already acting funny. So, I was wondering if anyone knew of the effects on the rest of a tank with no eggs???

Methylene blue shouldn't hurt most fish. Some scaleless species are more sensitive to it, mostly the same ones that are intolerant of malachite green (some tetras, catfish...). It is a general anti-fungal/anti-bacterial. The biggest problem you should have is that it makes everything blue :puppydogeyes: .

i think it can also knock off the good bacteria in your filter as well which may cause problems.... we used the stuff once when we started out & what a nightmare the tank was navy blue for weeks ( we did check - we did get the right dose) poor fish swimming around in the dark even with the tank lights on - thats how bad it was but it didnt hurt the fish ( apart from them being light deprived for a couple of weeks) but it killed all our live plants.i can tremember what we originally put the stuff in for but id never use it again!!!!

ecosystems are fragile, be careful

Methylene blue is not an antibacterial as somebody suggested. It is an antifungoidal. It kills funguses. It should not be added to any of your display tanks. Just like bacteria, there are dozens of beneficial fungi that live in your tank. They decompose the left over food and prevent most of it from entering the water column. The display tank is an ecosystem with its internal balances. If you disturb these balances you will cause possible serious domino effects. With that said, methylene blue is a very effective anifungal medicine. If you are having problems with a fungus infection in your tank, do a water change, take out the infected individuals and treat them in a hospital tank. Send me a message if I wasnt clear enough.

Andrej

some one said malachite green was similar? ive used it before to try to get rid of white worms that come when my tank gets over fed.... are there any side effects? (except it doesnt kill the worms)

Here is the principle (Take my word for this, my day job is in biomedical research):
All chemical medications are poisons. No argument. Thats how we make them. The only reason that they work, is that they are MORE poisonous to the things we want to keep, than to the things we want to kill. With that said, you may understand why I prefer to medicate in a separate tank. As for the left over parasites in the display tank, if they get deprived of a host for their maximum life cycle, they starve to death. If you have ?'s just post, or message.

Andrej

Hey, not just "someone", both argent-labs.com and novalek.com say methylene blue is anti-fungal and anti-bacterial as well as anti-protozoan. Most of the "fungi" you see in aquariums is really bacterial colonies anyway.

Have I been poisoned?

This may seem like a stupid question, but i cannot think of a better place to ask it.

I little while ago i was at a party where a guest brough some brownies as refreshments. I ate a couple of the brownies and ended up with gatorade blue urine for the next day or so. I ask around and found out that my friend who had brought the brownies had put something like methelene or methane blue in the batter and that was the cause of my...well anyway. I just wanted to know if consumption of it would have any harmful effect. My friend confessed his treachery but swore that it was harmless. To be honest, i thought it was pretty funny since it really freaked some of my other friends out.

Sorry about the stupid question.

Back
Top Bottom