Methylene Blue vs Acriflavine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darkfalcon

Aquarium Advice Freak
Which is more effective for which disease?? Are they useful or you prefer other medicine for specific common diseases.

Because here Acriflavine and Methylene Blue has similar purposes (written on their box/bottles). That's why I ask if they're efficient or not. Whether what the box say was 100% true or not 100% true.

Please if you have any experience with both of the medicine (so you can tell and compare the two), then please write your reviews, advices, suggestions, etc, so that all of those who read this thread will know (including myself of course xD ).

Acriflavine is more for bacterial ailments than M. Blue is
Im not really familar with acriflavine other than i know its a type of disenfectant similar to M blue but a lot less messy.
I think they will both work fine for external ailments like wounds or some fungal tail rot
but M blue is messy and maybe acriflavine is better maybe it wont kill off Good bacteria?
But M blue helps in other ways acriflavine wont and i think its the best #1 for fungus or general disease cure, and it can be combined with more stuff than acrifavine cant.

I see... I was having trouble with fin rot and I didn't know which to use. So I tried Acriflavine first, then M Blue 2 days later (after water change).

So Acriflavine vs bacteria and M Blue vs fungus??

And what do you mean messy? Is it because M Blue can kill the bacteria in the filter?

And by combined so M Blue can be combined with other medicine?

Mblue works incredibly well for wounds and such(it's messy because it's real freaking blue and will stain EVERYTHING including your skin) Acriflavin, I've never used solo, I know it works well as an additive too Victoria green for ich. I think for fin rot mblue may be your best bet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Acriflavine for Aquarium Fish
ACRIFLAVINE
Initially developed in 1912, it was obtained from coal tar and is available as an orange-brown powder. It was first introduced as an antiseptic, and was used during WW1 to combat the parasites that caused sleeping sickness. At one time it was used in the treatment of gonorrhea, but has since been replaced by more effective antibiotics. Acriflavine is now used primarily as a topical antiseptic, and is often mixed with proflavine for commercial preparations.

In the aquarium hobby it is used to treat a variety of ailments from fungal infections in fish to disinfecting and treating open wounds. Acriflavine is also used to disinfect fish eggs, thus preventing egg loss to fungus. It may also be used as an alternative to Malachite Green for treatment of disease in scale-less fish such as catfish, elephant-nose, and some members of the Characin family.
METHYLENE BLUE
Other Names: Methylthioninium chloride

Action: Cationic dye, redox indicator, and photosensitizer. In aquaculture, it serves as an anti-fungal and anti-parasitc.

History & Uses: In the 1890s Methylene Blue was studied for its anti-malarial properties, leading to its use during World War I, and subsequently in World War II. It continues to be used as an anti-malarial to this day.

Used medically in a combination that is known as “Prosed”, which is serves as a urinary antiseptic, urinary acidifier, analgesic, and anticholinergic. It also is used to treat Methemoglobinemia, and has been used for over a century as an anti-malarial in combination with other drugs. In the past it was also used to treat cyanide poisoning as well as carbon monoxide poisoning.

Recently it has been tested as a possible treatment for some cancers. Clinical studies are also underway that indicate Methylene Blue significantly slows down the progression of Alzheimer's disease.

It is also used in some drugs to aide in determining compliance, as it turns the urine blue, indicating the medication it is combined with has been taken.

In aquaculture it has commonly used to treat eggs to ensure they are not lost to fungal overgrowth. Methylene Blue is also used for treatment of ammonia and nitrite poisoning, as well as an anti-fungal, anti-parasitic. It is serves as an aquarium safe disinfectant. Disorders that Methylene Blue is used to treat include the following:

Nitrite poisoning - Fish gasp for breath, tan or brown gills, rapid gill movement known as "gilling"
Ammonia poisoning - Fish gasp for breath, red or purple gills, lethargic - may lay on the bottom, red streaks on body or fins.
Ichthyophthirius multifilis - Small white spots resembling sand, fish scratches against objects.
Oödinium pilularis - Also known as Velvet, this is actually caused by a parasite.
Swim Bladder Disorder- Fish struggles to maintain proper position, floats upside down, swims with tail higher than head
Egg Fungus - Serves as a safe and mild disinfectant for fish eggs.
Fish stress - Prophylactic treatment of fish under stress, usually due to being moved.

So if you (or we) want a useful alternative for Messy M blue, that does not kill BB, acriflavine may work...

That's some research there... About ammonia/nitrite poisoning, if the fish won't eat how long can they stay alive without food? Because after around 4 days my angelfish which was treated because of ammonia/nitrite poisoning, died...

And I thought because he didn't eat anything. There was no sign of any fungal/parasite/bacterial infection on the outside, and the fish always lay on the aquarium floor (sometimes try to swim again but always fail and go back to the bottom again). The breathing is fast (normal not slow) and the fins also moves normally.

Mblue works incredibly well for wounds and such(it's messy because it's real freaking blue and will stain EVERYTHING including your skin) Acriflavin, I've never used solo, I know it works well as an additive too Victoria green for ich. I think for fin rot mblue may be your best bet.

Okay I'll try treating fin rot with M Blue next time :D

The trouble with ammonia poisoning (or any really) is the gill damage. Even if the fish recovers the gill tissue could be scarred or clubbed which just forms an infection point for next time the fish is stressed.

Generally I'd say you would know if the fish will survive or not within a week. I've read of cases where goldfish will survive for several weeks before being lost.

Back in the 1990's I used to empty the entire tank, wash gravel, scrub glass, replace all filter media (carbon and wool) and reset up tank. Amazingly (now) most fish survived but from memory one or two would be lost within that week - most likely from a tank mini-cycle.

Back
Top Bottom