Milky water + fish not eating = HELP!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GLantern88

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello...

I'm new to this board, but am hoping someone can give me some advice.

I have a two-month-old 55 gallon tank of african cichlids. For the past couple of weeks, the water in the tank has become milky in color. At the same time a few of my fish have started refusing food, and there is not nearly as much activity in the tank as there has been. There are no outward signs of any diseases on them (bloated belly, white spots, lesions) either. I have tested my ammonia and nitrite levels and have negative readings on both. I also cut back on feeding, did twice-weekly 30% water changes, vacuumed crud from the gravel, used accu-clear to treat the water 3x in two weeks... everything short of doing a ritual sacrifice... but nothing has worked!!! Just today, I lost my nimbochromis livingstonii, and I am afraid this is only the beginning!

What should I do?!!!! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Bryan

Hiya GLantern and welcome to Aquariumadvice.

Eek...thats all not good. Coupla questions so we can problem solve.

The cloudiness; is it grey, white or does it have a greenish tint? Put some in a clean white glass to see if there is any greenish tint. A white/grey tint is a bacterial bloom, and greenish tint is an algae bloom.

Once we ascertain what sort of bloom it is, we can start to figure out the cause.

Next the fish. There actually is one outward sign of disease already (although not a visible on the body ones as I think you meant); the lack of appetite. Are there any other behavioral changes; heavy breathing, aggression, lethargy, etc? And have the fish gotten skinny? Not to be gross, but what does their poo look like?

What are your nitrate levels btw? High nitrate levels can also be an issue (chances are they're pretty low due to your water husbandry, but its still a good thing to check).

I'd avoid the Accu-Clear. The way those things work is to clump the floaty bits in the tank so they are a bit larger and can be caught by the filter. Thing is, they usually just sink and can only be removed by gravel vaccumings. The less chemicals added the better. And as you can see, its not very effective.

I don't know if the cloudy water and the ill fish are connected; it seems suspicious but could simply be coincidence. I suspect either bacterial infection or parasites. Lets see if we can get some of these questions answered and go from there.

Q and A

Hello. Thanks for the reply! Let's see if I can answer your questions...

Regarding the color of the cloudiness, it's definitely whitish... a bacterial bloom. I cut back on my feeding and hopefully this will cure itself.

Regarding the fish...

-Since the livingstonii died, there are now two fish that aren't eating. Actually, the first one, an OB peacock, hasn't eaten in front of my eyes for a couple of weeks, and doesn't appear to be malnourished at all, so I am assuming that it is eating SOMETHING. The other is my hap. "obliquidens" (also called a hap. "thick skin"). This guy just recently stopped eating. He also is very shy... more so than he ever was. I have a hospital tank, but it seems that whatever I do to treat the ailment should be used on the whole tank to avoid any other infestations. My borleyi had a bout of similar symptoms a month ago, but I think that was the result of aggression... an ice blue zebra that I have since returned got pretty nasty.

-Speaking of this, there doesn't seem to be any undue aggression or aggressor in the tank. My livingstonii was actually the biggest fish I had, so it seems to rule out that possibility.

-As far as lethargy goes, everyone seems a little bit less active than they have been. That's why I am afraid that it is a tankwide issue.

-As far as the "poo" question, there doesn't seem to be any abnormalities. (i.e. greenish to orangish, depending on which pellets I give them.) The one that isn't eating doesn't appear to be having any BMs at all. I gave them all some steamed zucchini a couple of weeks ago... a reccomendation from several sources... could that have hurt them?

If there are any other questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

Thaks again for the help!

Bryan

Okey dokey.

I think you're right. From your description I agree its likely a bacterial bloom. Apparently the heterotrophic bacteria (the kind that chows on organic waste) is having a party in your tank. Continued partial gravel vacs should help. Have you changed filters recently? Sometimes a reduction in the nitrifying bacteria opens the door to an overabundance of heterotrophics. Is why I'd do partial gravel vacs; remove some of the organic waste, but not remove all the nitrifying bacteria in the substrate.

I doubt the steamed zucchini was a cause of the fish issues although it may have contributed to the bacterial bloom (did you remove it within 24 hrs or so?)...I tend to think its something else. The problem is, what. I kinda think, tho I don't have any specific reason to, that they came to you diseased; possibly intestinal parasites although the poo doesn't seem to indicate it. It would explain, however, the length of time between purchase and signs of problems as well as the lack of appetite. It could also be some sort of internal infection. I hate to recommend treatments without being absolutely sure whats needed tho. Are there any other signs or symptoms you can give us?

Back
Top Bottom