missing barbels, pelvic fins?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dax29

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've got 2 fish that seem to have some missing parts. A Sterbai cory has no barbels, and an opaline gourami is missing a piece of one of those long, thread-like pelvic fins. Do these things grow back? I really didn't notice them being missing on the Sterbai cory before but now I realize he has no barbels while my three-lined cories have all their barbels. I haven't seen fish picking at them, and you would think that if one cory was having a problem with them being picked-at or worn-off that the others would too. The Sterbai seems okay. He swims around and eats and acts like the other 2 cories. I have a pool filter sand substrate so I don't think that wear is the problem.

The gourami has been missing about half of one of his pelvic fins for 3 weeks. It seems to have come off about a day or so in the tank after I brought the fish home. I assumed it was damaged during netting at the lfs or something.

yes those grow back. the barbels are usually bitten off or get worn down in low ph or sharp gravel. so i guess its something about the ph or something bit them..

and for the gourami i think it'll grow back but im not sure

One of the fish may have nipped the gourami's ventral fin (feeler). They do grow back, it just takes time. I have no idea about the cory though, sorry.

Back
Top Bottom