Missing eye!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Princess1982

Aquarium Advice Activist
I fed my fish about twenety minutes ago, just come back to the tank and my panda moor is now missing an eye! I am horrified! Is this a disease or was this another fish?

A couple of weeks ago i noticed that the panda moor was missing a lot of scales in one huge patch on one side of her body. I assumed that she had just rubbed against an ornament as I had never seen her flicking. I have been monitoring her since and she seemed fine. But could this be a sign of disease that I have missed? The missing eye is on the same side.

My other theory is that it might have been my common goldfish. She is the only one with a mouth big enough to eat the eye and she is really aggressive at feeding time. I have found her a new home as I know she should not be kept with fancies but I was asked to hold on to her another couple of months until the pond she is going to is warmer. Is it possible she ate the eye either by mistake or deliberately? I have taken the common out now to be on the safe side.

So what do I do now?? The panda moor is swimming normally and is still eating. But a couple of the fish seem to be paying more attention to her. Shall I move her out so she doesn't get bullied?

Thank you all inadvance.

Sadly it was probably from another fish. If you have another tank to put her in you can do that, but either way you want to make sure the water is super clean to prevent infection.

I had this happen to a black moor and it was horrific. But he healed and is perfectly fine. And this was 6+ months ago.

Poor girl! :(

It was either the common or the pleco. If you have noticed the common becoming more aggressive, he needs to be elsewhere. She will heal and adapt to her disability but if you notice the other fish harassing her, she may need some time on her own to heal up and adjust before you try to move her back again. Just keep her water perfect and make sure she gets a nutritious diet. If you notice any signs of infection or fungus, let us know!

Thanks both. I have set up my hospital tank again as the other fish are starting to bully her and I noticed she is now missing a bit of fin. I have treated the water with tetracycline as she is in a right sorry state at the moment. My poor little girl :-(
I will be finding a new home for the common immediately. I never thought there was a danger to my other fish otherwise I would have rehomed the common a long time ago. I just thought she was annoying eating all the food. I blame myself :-(

I have now moved the moor into a quarantine tank and have treated the water with tetracycline. Someone suggested adding salt but I'm really not sure what to do for the best. Does anyone have any experience with wounds like this?

I just made sure the water was super clean. He made a full recovery

+1

Lots of healthy water is the key. I have had fish damage themselves quite badly and they recovered with nothing special other than healthy water and a good diet. If you encounter any problems, please let us know!

Thank you both. I shall do more frequent water changes now until the wound has healed. The good news is that this doesn't seem to have affected the moor in any way. She still greets me when I go to her tank, still eating and is very active. I hope this means a full recovery. Fingers crossed!

Back
Top Bottom