Missing scales

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Unr3a1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all. I am new to these forums, and new to fish keeping. I have a 20 gallon tank with three fish in it. A black moor, a calico, and a white and orange oranda.

The Oranda is what I am concerned about, because on his right side, he is missing a few scales all of the sudden, and he is not eating. It has only been two days of this, but like I said, I am new to fish keeping and I really don't know what to do.

I do water changes every week, add chemicals to lower the nitrites, nitrates, amonia, etc etc and even put salt in for stress relief.

My other two fish are doing great, so I really don't know what is going on with my oranda. Thanks for any and all help.

EDIT

I was actually just looking at him again, and noticed that when he breathes, his right gill doesn't move at all. He is not breathing through his right side gill, only his left. What could cause this!?

Chemicals to lower ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates?

How long has this tank been running? An established tank should not need chemicals or salt... just dechlorinator when water is added.

What are your water levels (pH, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp)?

The tank has only been running for a month. I had the water tested last week, and it was a little high in amonia, and the store said the water was a little hard, but other than that the water is fine.

As of right now, I do not have a thermometer to measure the temperature, but since the other two fish are doing great, I assume it is at a proper level. The orange and white oranda only started acting like this two days ago, and that was when the scales were first missing.

I also want to add, that I do have two cats. One in particular is very obnoxious and mischievous, so I am not ruling out that she got a paw in the water and may have scratched the oranda. I plan on closing the openings to the tank tomorrow. Thanks for the quick reply, bluerose.

OK.

Get an API Master Freshwater Test Kit ASAP.

Test your water daily and do a 25-50% PWC any time ammonia or nitrItes hit .5ppm.

Get a thermometer.

The best way to help a fish heal is to provide the healthiest water possible. If I were you I would do a PWC now.

I can't help with dxing the fish or with treatments- but water quality is the most important thing.

Good luck!

You should never rely on chemicals to control your ammonia or nitrites. "A little high in ammonia" is not good. Any ammonia is bad in an established tank.

I suspect your tank is not cycled. Clean water at this point is your first concern. I'd be doing as much pwc as needed to keep ammonia to less than 0.5 (and NO2 to less than 0.25). This might mean 25% pwc daily until you get your cycle established (it generally takes 6-8 weeks in a cold water tank).

<BTW - just because the other 2 fish are acting normal does not rule out water problem. Orandas are most sensitive to bad water of the 3 breeds you have, so would be the first to show signs of stress.>

Missing scales is usually due to trauma - say bumping into something sharp in the tank. Generally a bit of salt & clean water is all that is needed. There are certain parasites that grows under the scales, but unless you see worm or flukes hanging out the wounds, I wouldn't be too concerned about that.

Not able to move one operculum is a bit unusual. If it is something new - it might be trauma (cat may be a suspect!), or small gravel stuck in the throat. If you have gravel small enough for fish to swallow, this is a possibility. The best thing to do is to look in the mouth - wait for the fish to break water surface at feeding time to get a peek. If you see something, it will need to be removed under sedation.

Well, I appreciate all the input, and I am definitely gonna do water changes on a daily basis now. However, the Oranda died. I woke up this morning and he was gone.

I took him out of the water, and inspected him, and I do believe one of my cats got him. He had two holes in the side of his right gill that went right through, and the inside of the right gill looked like it had been torn. I have since blocked off the opening to the tank, so now the cats are unable to stick their paws in the water. I looked in his throat and there were no rocks in it.

Again, I appreciate all the input that both of you gave me, and I will definitely be taking steps to rectify any possible ammonia. Thanks again.

Sorry about your loss .... It certainly looks like the cat is the culprit.

my cat also like to go fishing & all my tanks has to be covered as well.

Back
Top Bottom