missing slime coat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheChefSLC

Aquarium Advice Regular
I need some advice. My balloon molly is missing its slime coat and appears to be a little dried out.

Here is the background information on this. I am not sure what he was like prior.

a year ago i bought a 5.5 for my daughter, i only did water changes here and there and never payed attention to the water quality. We had 3 guppies, 2 balloon mollies, 2 dwarf frogs and a chinese algae eater. (yes i have always know it to be a bit over stocked).

about 2 or 3 weeks ago, i noticed the algae eater was "eating" one of the frogs. I am really certain this was due to not having enough food since i had learned how to take care of a tank properly. I also started working on a relocation for this fish. I had him re-homed last week.

On Friday, i setup a 20 long to replace the 5 in my daughters room. I did this while she slept. I did this to switch the 3 male guppies with my 4 pregnant guppies in my 36 gallon.

Sunday, i moved the guppies around. After the move was complete, i noticed one of the frogs, the one who was "eaten" by the algae eater had some red sores on it. I then relocated the frog to a goldfish bowl with some prime in the water. He did not make it and died a few hrs later.

After this, I checked the parameters and they were good with the exception of the PH being 8.4 from the normal 8.0, but it is really hard to truly tell since the color chart is too open to interpretation with them.

I also noticed that the molly appears to be missing it's slime coat and it has some red lines going into it's top fin.

I was not able to do much at that time due to other plans, when i got home a few hrs later, I did a 75% water change, added some additional carbon to the filter and added a large bio bag full of peat moss as well. I also added 1.25ml per 4.5 gallons of water of prime. and I also added a couple pinches of some aquarium salt.

I have not been able to look at the fish since doing this 8 hrs ago but wanted to get this posted now since I cannot sleep.

Since I did not really check the fish prior to the move, I cannot rule out that this was there prior. I think the fish could have been "eaten" like the frog, But it is also possible this could be something else.

I will get some pictures in a few hrs when the sun is up.

prior to the water change, my parameters were

PH: 8.2
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0 (maybe .1)
Nitrate: 5

My tap water is very hard and has a PH of 7.6. One of my next aquarium buys is a PH probe tester :) but i have to pay for this new tank and light first

I would add prime in the tank itself, like on the bottle it will say add like 10ml per 10gallons or something for stress

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would add prime in the tank itself, like on the bottle it will say add like 10ml per 10gallons or something for stress

I check my bottle and it does not say this nor does SeaChem on their site.

I checked the fat guy this morning and he does look better. I decided to add 3 ml of prime just to help a bit more.

After a few hrs he looks a little better in the couple hours since this morning.

Thankfully he is and he is still active and eating. He is also swimming in the middle and not just the top.

My best guess is that the algae eater ate the slime coat before being rehomed and then the stress of the move with the additional increase of PH caused this problem

The PH is still .2 high, hopefully it will lower over the next couple days with the peat moss and some water changes.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I use API stress coat which is supposed to replace slime coat. It has always worked for me.

seachem stress guard PLUS

stressguard.jpg

Once chinese "algae" eaters reach a certain age, they go psychotic and start eating the eyes/slime coat of tank mates. Seems your guy may have reached that stage.

Also, red streaking of the body and/or fins is a hint at septicemia. It's generally brought on by stress and poor water quality.

I wouldn't randomly dose prime, it's an redox agent that temporarily converts ammonia and nitrite into less harmful compounds which should only be used if test results say you've elevated levels and a water change is impossible/impractical (medicating.)

Keep the water quality top notch (test daily,) and keep an eye on the potential septicemia. I'd have Kanaplex and a quarantine tank on hand if it ends up indeed being an internal bacterial issue.

Your problem is probably mostly the algae eater. Like another poster said CAE are notorious for eating alone coats off of fish. Your best bet is to honestly see if your LFS would take him. Since the tanks are relatively small I would suggest Otos or even a snail/shrimp combo instead of the CAE

I agree 100%. Algae eater has been rehomed and no longer an issue.

As for the molly he is looking a lit better today. He is starting to look slimy again and the red veins have disappeared completly. I am very certain he will be fine now.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Good good :) the other stuff could be from stress from the CAE

Back
Top Bottom