mollies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

teebabii8

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a Orange creamsicle Molly and a black and white Molly. Im pretty sure the Orange Molly is the male. The female seems to harass him on and off and then when the male hides the female nips at all the other fish. Now the male sits at the bottom of the tank and seems stressed. What should I do?

You can add more mollies to the tank if you have the room. I'd say that 4-6 more would probably help, but it is no guarantee. It often works tough to spread out the aggression and keep the bully too busy to worry one fish.

Short of separating them to different tanks or placing a divider between them, there is not much else possible you can do.

I think I'm just going to try to return her.

from my experience there will always be at least one of the fish that tend to be more aggressive than the rest. Like someone else has said adding more fish may help. It did mine, as long as you have the room. However if its actually biting at and taking pieces off then you have to do something....

now this may sound funny, but I had a beautiful dalmation lyre tail female molly that was a brute, I acutally named her meanie. She went on like this for a couple days chasing other from the food, nipping at other.. and so on. I took out my floating breader box (costs $7) and put her in it for 3 days for a "time out" everyone laughed at me, but your know what, it worked!! She still was a more aggressive fish, but not near what she was.

GL

Ok. Thanks. If I have a male and female and its the female that's aggressive, should I get more males or females?

Back
Top Bottom