Mollies health going & 1 dead so far????????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tjohanso

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Info:
29G Freshwater
Quietflow 20 (125gph) Aqueon filter
Tetra Whisper 40 Air Pump w/ 6in under gravel airstone & small dragon w/ small airstone (on opposite sides of tank)
NEVER added any salt
50/50 fake & real plants
Large natural looking gravel
100W submersible heater
3 Dalmation Lyretail Mollies (2males& 1 female) had 4 but 1 female in QT tank for an injury from fighting. She had visible cut and bleeding.
2 Cremesicle Lyretails (1M 1F)
3 male guppies
1 albino cory
10 ghost shrimp
2 Long Fin Red Minor Tetra's
1 HiFin Spotted Pleco (I know it will be too big for my tank-LFS sold it too me & I didn't do my research b4 buying-will rehome when needed)

H2O Params as of 10:15am today(10/3/11) from API Test Kit
Temp: 79
Clarity - crystal
Ammo: .50 ppm
Nitrite: .25 ppm
Nitrate: 40 ppm
PH: 6.0

PROBLEMS:
Friday(9/30) water test had almost the same results as above & I changed out 7 gallons of water w/ Seachem Prime water conditioner. After tests complete today I changed out another 7 gallons of water. I change out about every other day since the tank is still cycling. (I had the "Cycling with Fish cause the LFS didn't tell me about Cycling"problem. ;-)
Male Dalm Molly started acting funny saturday and found dead today. He started laying around the bottom and would just roll around but was breathing. Would start darting across the tank and then just float as if he passed out?????????? Female Dalmation started acting the same way last night and looks to be pretty close to death right now AND her bottom lip is stuck all the way out. Cremesicle Female is starting the SAME problem now. HELPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!! The mollies are the only fish showing any signs of distress or being close to death. The female dalmation that is in the QT tank is in perfect condition and her injury is almost healed. The other male dalmation molly is now starting to show the signs as the others too BUT he had a red line along the bottom of his back fin which appears to be underskin blood because he is really white on that fin. He also has it on the 2 small side fins but NOT on the gills like I read about with Ammonia poisoning. Again per the API Test Kit the Ammonia has been at .50 ppm and I do water changes every other day. I AM AT A COMPLETE LOSS RIGHT NOW AND DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO.
The bodies have what appears to be a normal slime coat, no visible white spots, & all fins were in perfect condition until they started to show the unhealthy stuff. On the cremesicle mollies I do not see any white spots and they are bright orange so it's easy to see on them. The dalmation mollies do not have any white spots showing on there black spots but of course there dalmation mollies so it's a little hard to tell for sure. NONE of the other fish have any problems showing visibly or behaviorally.
PLEASE HELP ME OH KNOWLEDGABLE ONES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you in advance for any and all advice/assistance.

If your ammonia is reading .50ppm you should be doing larger PWC more often. Try and keep it under .25ppm. You might even need to do 2 PWC a day. Every second day at the small amount isn't doin the job.

Thank you and I will start that immediately. I will do another one tonight. Are Mollies more sensitive than the other fish? (tetras, guppies, ghost shrimp, pleco)

Body Count is up to 2 now and 1 is knocking on deaths door while another is starting the trip. I have 4 left as of 11:05am California time. :(

Thank you very much...

Basically, think of your tank right now as a toxic environment. Many fish cannot withstand the cycling process. And you have a lot of fish.

The pleco needs to go now. Not when you think he gets too big.

Corys are very sensitive to water params. I'd watch that closely.

Actually, if it was my tank, I would return ALL of the fish and do a fishless cycle.

If you won't do that, then daily 50% water changes and a good dechlorinator.

What test kit are you using?

Hello. No, IMO mollies are not more sensitive, but .50 ammo is honestly pretty high for fish to live in. I would recommend starting to do 50% water changes.
Yeah, you are not alone in the store not telling you about cycling. But, hang in there. Since you have a high nitrate count, I am guessing your cycle is progressing well, so hang in there, but there could be more losses.
On a different note, what did the store tell you about stocking? You will need to work on your stocking a bit once you have the params are good and steady, but you may already know that since you already know about the size of your pleco. :)

Thank you everyone. I see the error of my ways now. It's just sad the fish are paying the price for my lack of complete research.
I will either return the pleco to Petsmart if they'll take him back but I have had him for a month now so I'm not sure if they will. If they won't then I will look for a home.

I have the API Liquid Test Kit.

I relied on the knowledge of Petsmart on my stocking in the beginning and that is how I ended up in my predicament. I always told them the size of the tank and how long it had been set up because I relied on them not knowing that they didn't know as much as I needed. Since finding this forum I have learned that I have been on the wrong path. :(
I am going to finish this cycle with the fish so I know I have A LOT OF WORK cut out for me.
Other than Prime, could I buy the Amquel water conditioner? It comes in a MUCH larger jug than the Prime so I am trying to save some money. If not then I will stay with Prime and just have to order it online to get a bigger jug. Cause I am definitely gonna need a lot of it for all of the water changes I am about to do.
Thank you again everyone!!!

The nice thing about Prime is that is neutralizes ammonia for like 48 hours or so, so it is good for fish-in cycles. I would stick with the Prime because of that factor, even though it is more expensive. :) Also, just for fun, you should measure the params on your tap water before it has been treated. Some of it has ammo in it, and if it does, it would be stick with the Prime inthe future too. My tap water has good params, so I actually use a cheaper water conditioner since my tanks are cycled. I know many people on here only use Prime though even after the cycling long done. :)

Thank you everyone. I see the error of my ways now. It's just sad the fish are paying the price for my lack of complete research.

There is a huge learning curve with this hobby. Sadly, you cannot count on the lfs employees to help guide you. We all made mistakes at the beginning. You are most definitely not alone there. You learn as you go. We'll help you through the rough stuff.

As of 8:30pm(PAC Time) 10/4/11 H2O Param's: Temp 79, Ammo: 0ppm, Nitrite: 0ppm, Nitrate: 10ppm, & PH 6.6. 50% PWC done around 3pm earlier today.
My remaining 3 mollies are swimming all over & appear to be in better health. All of the other fish are still fine.

Thank you to everyone for the speedy responses. I was able to fix the situation in under 24hrs and stop the deaths of my little friends.

I will not purchase any fish in the future without first researching if they are right for my tank & the other tankmates.
I will continue twice a day 50% water changes until my cycle is complete.

AND

I will ask for advice here and NEVER at any of my LFS again. ;-)

My fish's say "Thank (bubble, bubble) You (bubble, bubble)!!!!!!

As of 8:30pm(PAC Time) 10/4/11 H2O Param's: Temp 79, Ammo: 0ppm, Nitrite: 0ppm, Nitrate: 10ppm, & PH 6.6. 50% PWC done around 3pm earlier today.
My remaining 3 mollies are swimming all over & appear to be in better health. All of the other fish are still fine.

Thank you to everyone for the speedy responses. I was able to fix the situation in under 24hrs and stop the deaths of my little friends.

I will not purchase any fish in the future without first researching if they are right for my tank & the other tankmates.
I will continue twice a day 50% water changes until my cycle is complete.

AND

I will ask for advice here and NEVER at any of my LFS again. ;-)

My fish's say "Thank (bubble, bubble) You (bubble, bubble)!!!!!!
Good to hear your mollies are looking better. I did a cycle with mollies and platys and had none die, so I know it is possible. It sounds like you are going to be diligent with your water changes, so thats good. You won't have to mega pwc forever, just hang in there. :)

If you honestly want to save the fish id be using prime and stability, it will help you cycle your tank in 7 days. seriously use it, ive used it and it works wonders. especially in this case where you need it cycled fast. the stability will also help with ammonia and nitrites.. use it!!! :}

it looks like you're on your way to a cycled tank. it does get easier. the people on this site are great! they are willing to share their knowledge and experience with even the most novice aquarist. i know because they shared with me when i first started and they really helped me understand so much of the chemistry that goes into keeping our fish friends alive and healthy. and remember no question is too silly to ask. that's how we all learn. good luck. :)

If you honestly want to save the fish id be using prime and stability, it will help you cycle your tank in 7 days. seriously use it, ive used it and it works wonders. especially in this case where you need it cycled fast. the stability will also help with ammonia and nitrites.. use it!!! :}
I wouldn't use Stability. Prime already helps with ammonia, so there is not need for another product to do it too. I am glad it worked for you, but you probably would have been fine just using Prime.

I wouldn't use Stability. Prime already helps with ammonia, so there is not need for another product to do it too. I am glad it worked for you, but you probably would have been fine just using Prime.

right but it also cycles the tank faster, in this case since she already has fish it it, it'd be a faster cycle less stress for the fish, it helps not only with ammonia but high nitrate levels and nitrite levels...

right but it also cycles the tank faster, in this case since she already has fish it it, it'd be a faster cycle less stress for the fish, it helps not only with ammonia but high nitrate levels and nitrite levels...
I still woudn't use it. Those levels can be easily controled by doing pwc. I have also hear very mixed reviews about that stuff actually working. But, I haven't tried it and you have, so maybe you know better. I did all my fish-in cycles by just doing dutiful pwc and never had an issue or lost a fish doing it.

Back
Top Bottom