Mollies with blackened fins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HyperionLore

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've got a 46 Gallon Bowfront with an AquaClear 70 kept at 79 degrees. I just tested the water and nitrite and ammonia read 0 and the nitrates read about 15 ppm. I do 10-20% water changes every week like clockwork and vacuum the gravel once a month. I currently have 9 mollies in this tank, all of which were purchased between 7 and 14 days ago. (they were bought from two different places and are a variety of different specific breeds)

I've just started noticing that my male silver molly and one of my creamsicle females are starting to show black along the edges of their fins. The female has also got a bit of the black on her sides, giving the impression that she looks ...dirty for lack of better words. None of the fish seem ill at all. They're swimming, eating, breeding, delivering a ton of babies... normal stuff that mollies do. I was curious if this could be the result of some kind of ammonia burns or bruising?

When I bought them the tanks had just been stocked and were horribly over crowded. I read somewhere that it could take a few weeks for the "bruising" or discolorations to show up. Could that be the problem my fish are facing or should I be looking into other problems?

I've posted three pictures in my molly tank album because I'm having some problems getting them up on this post. :( I have them labeled.

Well that was my first thought but the fins don't look like they're in any way damaged... Oh well. Guess I'll keep watching them.

When my betta got black fins, it was rot. but they were not falling off or anything. I did more water changes, and they got better. Now I just change water more often, and haven't had a problem since. Theirs might have already been bad from the pet store, so I would change water more often.

Back
Top Bottom