Molly Developing New Black Spots - Pictures Included

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

studmaster

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everyone,

I have had a yellow/golden male molly for about 4-6 months now. In the last few weeks he has been developing black spots on his tail and side fins. They don't look like a disease or anything but I wanted your opinions. I did start feeded my molly better food with "cromacolor" that is supposed to bring out the colour more. I don't know if thise could be doing it or not.

Any thoughts? My water quality is perfect with Ammonia=0, Nitrite=0, Nitrate=<10.

I have had a couple unexplained deaths in my fish tank in the last 3 weeks. No real signs or symptons, just a dead molly.

Here are some pictures of the molly I'm concerned about.

Thanks in advance for any help

Attachments

• molly1_130.jpg
    molly1_130.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 4,280
  • molly2_181.jpg
    molly2_181.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 5,457
It could very well be a natural colorization. Nice pics btw. If she is eating the same and acting the same I would guess it is nothing to be too concerned about. Just keep an eye on her and keep your water the way you have been.

That is a very pretty fish. I dont think you have anything to worry about. Probably natural coloring as Zagz said.

Thanks, it's sometimes hard to get a decent picture with reflections, etc.

So even though this is a mature fish and is just developing the black spots now, you don't think there is much to worry about? I would hate to lose this one on something I could possibly fix.

It certainly doesn't look like an illness, you can think of it similar to people in this regard, our bodies continue to change as we get older, why not fish?

I can agree that fish will change size and appearance, it's just the speed at which the spots developed were over about 3-4 weeks. The only thing that I have really changed was feeding them different food.

I'm also almost certain that there are black mollies in his breeding lines because the store that I buy them at have a lot of similar mollies, with some black in them.

Are there any possible diseases that would have these kinds of black spots as a sign?

I think it's natural color change with age as well, I have had this happen in the past, and since you said you added color enhancing food, somehting might have sparked it... but I have had fish do this as well, looks great and super healthy.

Beautiful fish BTW :)

Thanks, I do think he looks very healthy, and I hope it's only just a natural color change in combination with the new color enhancing food.

Thanks for everyones help!

Back
Top Bottom