Molly Emergency Please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

strikerv1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My 6 year old daughter noticed a red "bag?" on the underside of her Molly. It is in a 15 gal tank with some guppies, snails, and 3 small algae eating shrimp. I cant test the PH at this very moment as I have ran out of strips and need to run to the store to buy some. Can you tell by these pictures what this may be???? She is REALLY worried about it... :(

20130730_165805.jpg

20130730_165943.jpg

Looks like a prolapse. What do you feed the fish? Also, test strips are no good. Get an API test kit with the dropper bottles for future use.

Thank you for the advice about the strips.

We are using the food the previous owner of the molly gave us. Aqueon Tropical Flakes. Is there any way to treat prolapse

I think (and please correct me if I'm wrong) but a prolapse is when the female reproductive organs (or stomach I can't remember) are pushed outside of the body. It can happen to humans as well..

I have looked this up and found suggestions that you not feed the fish for a couple days. Is this the proper procedure to try to heal this? I also separated it from the other fish and all today so it wouldn't get picked on since its hurt.

I have looked this up and found suggestions that you not feed the fish for a couple days. Is this the proper procedure to try to heal this? I also separated it from the other fish and all today so it wouldn't get picked on since its hurt.

Im not too sure. Someone else may know more about that then me

Hello sorry to here about your problem I've do e some reading and may have a solution for you. It is a prolapse its very very tricky to treat. And usually doesn't go to we'll. but there is something you can do. Do not feed the fish for a few days. After that take some peas put them in the microwave for a couple of seconds then take of the skin of the pea and mush the pea up. You can also add a penchant of garlic to the peas to make the fish more likely to eat it. Now I'm unsure on how this works. But I know it can in some cases. This isn't a sure way to treat it but its all I could come up with. Hopefully this works out for you. Please keep us posted.

~fishguy17

Well Its not as red or bad looking anymore but it hasn't worked its way back inside the fish or anything. Idk if there is anything I can do to help it... :-(

Well unfortunately I got home from work yesterday and and the molly had passed away. Thank yall for your help though.

Back
Top Bottom