Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-05-2013, 09:52 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Molly has fungus on eye but I have fry!

1~What type of fish is afflicted? Molly, cotton like growth around right eye
2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Unsure currently
3~ How large is the tank? 10 gallon How long has the tank been set up? 4 months
4~What type of filtration are you using? carbon filter
5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes? 5 adult mollies, 2- 1month old mollies, aprox. 15- 2 week old mollies
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time? 2 weeks, weekly mostly, 1/4-1/2 of tank
7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them? Had fish since tank was cycled, other than the fry of course.
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.? Nothing new.
9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently? Have not changed diet, low emissions food.

I am mostly concerned about treating my tank for fungus with the fry...I have large gravel that makes it very difficult to find the fry to remove them from the tank. Should I pull the one fish affected out?

Old 02-05-2013, 10:43 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to ejaramillo01
I think that first you need to measure your tank's water quality, like ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. This could be the root cause of the problem, looks to me that you have now too many fish for a 10 G tank, and the filter maybe is not capable to handle the bioload. This will create higher levels of ammonia or nitrites that will make your fish more susceptible to infections,
I would recommend you to do daily 30% water changes, to see if improves, of not treat with anti fungal medicine, using half of the recommended dosis. This is my opinion, hope it helps.

ejaramillo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:45 AM   #3
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

How do your water parameters look? Can you post a pic of your molly's issue? I would start by increasing your water changes to daily and see if this helps first. True fungus is typically caused by unhealthy water and you have quite a few messy fish in a very small tank. Its very important to know your water parameters.

You can treat the tank using methylene blue and it will not affect your fry but it will stain everything blue and affect your bb. Alternately, you can give the molly a MB bath once a day until it clears (assuming you truly have fungus and not another issue).
Old 02-05-2013, 10:46 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Yeah, I have so many fish because they keep breeding! I'll get my water tested today and maybe get another tank to move the fry over to. I'm worried about siphoning the tank with the fry being so small. I'd hate to suck one or more of them up!

Thanks for the advice. I'll try that!

Tags
eye, fry, fungus, molly

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com