Molly issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hobgob

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey everyone, got a male Molly that's chilling at the top fins clamped. But it doesn't do it a lot. Maybe 5 minutes then it's good to go. Last night he was sitting where the water comes back in from the filter.
The tank is a 110 water gallon, with an aquaclear 110 hang off back of the filter.
Water parameters are 0,0,and 25ish
Below are the picture of the Molly and the tank.

Now it's not my tank. It's my dads. I also noticed that the fish also have some ick on them. Only thing is I don't know if it would make the Molly act like this. The bleeding heart has spots on it but I don't see any on the Molly. I believe it is an oxygen level problem.

Attachments

• image-897249121.jpg
    image-897249121.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 70
  • image-3668772875.jpg
    image-3668772875.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 74
  • image-4267554059.jpg
    image-4267554059.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 74
  • image-1061765456.jpg
    image-1061765456.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 75
Fishkeeper26 said:
Where are the pictures and what size tank?

I mentioned in my first post that it is a 110gallon

Basically he doesn't believe me as wants another opinion but either way he should put in an airstone to get some ripples

Just did a 50percent a couple of days ago resulting in a bunch of fry getting muched. But I believe nitrate shouldn't be any more then 35. My friend who owns an lfs says 40. Same with jungle testing. My Nutrafin teat kit says 50. The kribs bred and the nitrates were around 40 but my dad isn't to steady on doing pwc. I made him do one for the sake of the fry and nitrate leeks but now he is mad at me lol

What does the API kit say? And if it was had to do with nitrates the fry would be the first to have issues would they not? Aren't they the most agile?

My dad is starting to think that they are brackish like black mollies sometimes but I don't think that's how it works is it?

Sorry totally forgot to mention the stock.
6 neon tetra
2 glowlight(others died but school with the neon
3 krib
2 angel
1 L-83 pleco
2bleeding hearts
2 berry tetras
1 upside down cat
And the two Molly
Plus the two or three baby kribs that survived

The female is doing it as well now. And the box says the filter is good for 60 to 110 gallon. I know over filtering is good but it's my dads tank. It has had the filter on it for 5 months now and no fish have died.

If you see ich, then you need to treat the ich. I doubt it is an oxygen issue as HOB filters generally provide good oxygenation, and I see bubbles from an airstone

Um there isn't an airstone in the tank... Just the hob ac110 filter and I know we need to treat the ick but I don't think its the Molly's issue.

More pics of them in the water

Attachments

• image-3636750951.jpg
    image-3636750951.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 61
  • image-754814437.jpg
    image-754814437.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 70
Hobgob said:
Um there isn't an airstone in the tank... Just the hob ac110 filter and I know we need to treat the ick but I don't think its the Molly's issue.

I guess the bubbles I see are from the HOB filter, which still provides plenty of air Exchange. Try raising your tank temp to 86-88 and see if the molly improves. Not all fish show outward signs of ich, but I guarantee if any fish has it, they all do. You only see the white spots on some fish becaise their skin festers where the parasite is attatched. They can also have ich in the gills which would cause them to have clamped fins and poor air Exchange..
That being said, treat the ich .

What would raising the temp do? I know you need to do it to treat the ick. Also would it hurt the fish at all? Or any of the other fish/ fry? And should I just turn the heater up to 87 or slowly do it? I imagine the time would be long enough for it to heat up but never no. My fish haven't had ick before. I believe all things come from bad water quality. But it is my dads tank basically. He owns it and buys the fish he wants but I know more then he does...

Haha I just noticed I was putting a k instead of an H. Wow this sentence has even taken a long time to type. Keep hitting different letters and stuff for some reason. Anyways what do you guys think the best way to treat ich is?

Raise the temp about I've degree every hour till you hit 88.
Ich is a parasite. It is not something that just comes from bas quality water. Although that does make the fish immune response harder to fight off.
You need to keep the temps up for 2 weeks. You can lower them every 48 hours as the ich goes through the lifecycle . And then raise it back to 88 after 24 hours . But I find leaving it steady works just fine. Most fish tolerate the heat alright.

Ich won't go away on it's own and fish will suffer and die if you don't treat it.

So the heAter is almost full but I don't think it's will be warm enough... It does say 30c but it's almost there now and still not warm enough

Back
Top Bottom