molly not doing good, what is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ilovemydragongoby

Aquarium Advice FINatic
one of my female dalmation mollies are acting odd. she swims normally, but as soon as she "stops" swimming she goes vertical, with her head up almost flipped backwards. i thought maybe swim bladder, i'm not sure though. i haven't tried feeding her since i noticed. and it looks like she has some tares by her but. and it looks like shes trying to poop. i'll try to get some pics but when i need one, its so hard to get.

also, she just had a batch of fry this morning. would this have anything to do with it? i thing it was the biggest batch of fry she's had yet.

For fish that seem to have an intestinal blockage, often feeding them a little pea will do the trick. Get a couple of fresh peas, put them in a little bowl of water and microwave them for a minute or two, then take them out, wait for them to cool, pop the insides out of the shell and feed the insides to your fish. If the Mollie has any appetite at all she should readily eat it, and for whatever reason peas seem to do a great job of helping "clear out" the intestinal tract of fishes. I know some fish owners who will feed peas prepared like this to all of their fish once every week or two as a preventative measure.

If she just had a ton of babies, she may have damaged her digestive tract, or she may just be overcompensating for the change in bouyancy that comes from getting rid of a ton of little swim bladders. :)

Definitely try feeding the peas, but don't stop feeding her unless the food looks like it's making her worse.

so i put her in a smaller tank with a filter from my 55gal and an air pump and some cylced tank water. she seems to be swimming ok and my boyfriend gave her some food before going to work and she ate it. but its hard to tell if shes still red or torn up

the red spot has slightly gone away and she's acting pretty 'sketchy'...i guess we'll see what happens

Back
Top Bottom