Molly not upright!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

owen0992

Aquarium Advice Freak
I stayed over at a friends last night and when I got home my molly was upside down on the bottom of the tank! I found out that for some reason my filter was not running. It was running two days ago. I got out my test kit and saw a huge ammonia spike. My female molly and the recent batch of newborns are all doing ok compared to the male. It is a ten gallon so it's understandable that the ammonia spiked quickly without the filter system running. The male is upside down but still breathing on the bottom of the tank. My question is on treatment. I got the filter running again, changed around 70% of the water and put in an airator for extra air in the water. Is there anything else I should be doing? I will be pretty sad if I lose my original fish just three days before he gets moved to a 50g tank.

Does he have any bloating at all? If not just keep an eye on him. You could try some blanched peas in the tank to see if he is suffering from constipation.

Sadly my white male molly who was the one upside down passed :( He was one of my three original fish from when I got into the hobby. The female and babies seem to be doing ok though. I will do another water change in a couple hours before bed. At least he had a couple sets of babies. I will keep one of his dalmatian fry as a replacement. Thanks for the replies guys.

Sorry to hear about your loss. On the bright side one male can impregnate a female many times from one time. Females can store sperm for months. You might just end up with more babies from him.

Back
Top Bottom