Molly problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dudeofrude

Aquarium Advice Addict
I noticed yesterday that one of my female mollies is acting really strange, sitting away on her own and not moving? Now today she is swimming but all her fins are closed and she's just using her tail? It started after a water change but the other 6 mollies and rest of fish are fine. The water parameters are ok, nitrate is a little high but it has been for weeks, trying to get it down to no avail :( also she gave birth about a fortnight ago if that's important? Any input would be great, thanks

She might just be experiencing some internal stress from giving birth recently.

Some questions:

What is your tank's current temp?

What do you usually feed to your Mollies?

What is the condition of the fry? Did she eat any of them?

The tank temp is 80f sane as it always has been, I feed tropical flakes, freeze dried blood worm and algae wafers. She gave birth during the nights I didn't know, there was only 3 fry that I saw, only 1 is still about and is doing well, is coloured and about an inch now. Not sure which of them ate the fry as it was at night like I said.

Sounds good. It could be one of 2 things:

1. Post-pregnancy stress - give it a week or 2 and see if she doesn't improve or develops some other illness that you can treat.

2. Constipation - I would slightly reduce the number of bloodworm feedings per week and increase the number of algae wafer feedings. See if that doesn't improve things.

Ok thanks for the advice, by the looks of her I'm not sure she'll last the night but fingers crossed

could be stress from birth or she could possibly still be in labor. Happen to my swordtail once.

-Dylan

I've been observing her over the past few days and I've noticed, she only flattens her fins and floats about when the lights are on? When the lights are off she acts normal? I really don't have a clue what's goin on with her?

Back
Top Bottom