Molly, Swordtail, Dwarf Gourami: Assistance Needed in Diagnosing Ailments

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

McLumpy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I knew things were going too well, now I have 3 fish, (a Molly, Swordtail, and Dwarf Gourami), that are displaying various ailments. :( I have tried researching the symptoms and I’m supplying what I “think” is the cause for the ailments. However, I want to make sure that I’m not misdiagnosing before I begin any treatment. Up until now, I have only had to deal w/ Ich and mild fungus outbreaks, so all of this is new to me.

I have listed the 3 fish in different posts so that quoting will be simplified, (should you choose to quote the posts). Ufortunately, I couldn't get a pic of my Swordtail, (she was hiding and refused to come out lol), but I will try to take some and upload them as soon I can to help aid in visualizing the symptoms I've described.

Tank Info: 55 Gallon Freshwater Planted Community (plants were just recently introduced and I haven‘t used anything except for plant food - discs/not liquid).

Water Parameters: Ammonia 0ppm / Nitrite 0 ppm / Nitrates 40 ppm / pH 7.6 / Temp 78F

Water Changes: Weekly / 50% / Substrate Vacuum / Filter Rinse (in siphoned-out tank water) / 1-2 Capfuls of Prime / 1-2 Tablespoons of API Freshwater Aquarium Salt

I guess I more or less need assistance w/ diagnosing these ailments, (along w/ treatment options).

As always, TIA for the assistance!

Molly

Caudal Fin Damage - half of caudal fin is missing

Caudal Peduncle Deformity - shortened/notched Caudal Peduncle area making the Caudal Fin arch upwards leading to irregular swimming

Appetite Level: Normal
Activity Level: Decreased - “rests” in plants or swims stationary in top area of tank
Gill Function: Normal

Background Info: This Molly was the “odd-ball” of the group; she never really socialized w/ my other Mollies and she is much smaller than the others. She was introduced to the tank approximately 9 months ago. Upon introduction, she displayed a strange “wiggle” when she would swim. This “wiggle” had decreased some, but returned w/ a vengeance upon losing the lower half of her caudal fin, (which happened over the last month). As she grew, her Caudal Peduncle deformity became more apparent.

Additional Info: Symptoms surfaced within the last 3 weeks or so. I believe she has a birth defect that led to her Caudal Peduncle Deformity, but could anyone offer a diagnosis of what would cause damage to her Caudal Fin? Fin Rot, maybe? Thoughts?

Swordtail

Gills - white patches trailing the entire length of both gills

Scales - dark blotches present on top of head, white patch present under mouth, and faded coloring

Feces - somewhat white and “stringy”

Activity Level: Normal

Additional Info: Symptoms surfaced within the last week or so. Up until then, there were no physical abnormalities.

I believe this could be either a fungal or parasite issue. Thoughts?

Dwarf Gourami

Head - red cyst/lesion protruding from side of head, and face has darkened

Activity Level: Decreased - “rests” on gravel for long periods of time (activity increases during feeding times)

Additional Info: Symptoms surfaced within the last week or so. Up until then, there were no physical abnormalities. I originally thought that the sores were caused by being “side-bumped” by my Red Tail Shark, but now I believe it could be a disease. Thoughts?

Could some if it be attacks by the shark or other fish? Part of it sounds like fin rot, but with all the varied symptoms I couldn't even hazzard a guess.

One thing that can't hurt is to up your PWC's to twice a week.

So sorry.

Could some if it be attacks by the shark or other fish? Part of it sounds like fin rot, but with all the varied symptoms I couldn't even hazzard a guess. So sorry.

My Shark isn't really "attacking" anyone in the tank. He does chase and bump sides w/ my Dwarf Gourami, but not to the point where it would cause a lesion. My fear is that it's the disease, (can't recall what it's called), that Dwarf Gouramis get and there's no cure. :(

Edit: Regarding the extra water change per week... I actually did begin 2x a week over the past 2 weeks due to my Molly's illness. I just noted my "standard" pwc practices as a quick reference.

McLumpy said:
My Shark isn't really "attacking" anyone in the tank. He does chase and bump sides w/ my Dwarf Gourami, but not to the point where it would cause a lesion. My fear is that it's the disease, (can't recall what it's called), that Dwarf Gouramis get and there's no cure. :(

Edit: Regarding the extra water change per week... I actually did begin 2x a week over the past 2 weeks due to my Molly's illness. I just noted my "standard" pwc practices as a quick reference.

Not sure what to say. Kudos to you for in depth stats and research. Did you consider QTing them in case others get sick?

Not sure what to say. Kudos to you for in depth stats and research. Did you consider QTing them in case others get sick?

That's what I do... you know me w/ my extensive research. :D

I considered putting the Molly in my QT, but that was before the other 2 got sick. But now w/ them possibly having parasites, fungus, etc., I would think that it would be beneficial to just treat the whole tank.

McLumpy said:
That's what I do... you know me w/ my extensive research. :D

I considered putting the Molly in my QT, but that was before the other 2 got sick. But now w/ them possibly having parasites, fungus, etc., I would think that it would be beneficial to just treat the whole tank.

Yep, you taught me a thing or two :|

I think you're right about cross contamination (sp?). I'm not a big fan of them, but there's meds for multiple symptoms, see if one fits most and try it is my best suggestion.

Yep, you taught me a thing or two :|

I think you're right about cross contamination (sp?). I'm not a big fan of them, but there's meds for multiple symptoms, see if one fits most and try it is my best suggestion.

I thought about just treating w/ a multi-med, but first thing's first, I want to make a correct diagnosis before doing anything. I guess I'm just afraid that the meds won't work for all 3 fish or do more harm than good.

I just uploaded pics of the fish, (excluding the Swordtail... she wouldn't come out for picture time lol).

I can understand trying to ID it, but if there's more than one issue it may be imposible to ID.

Some people swear by Mela or Pimafix (both together), but it did nothing to heal my Moors, but it didn't make them worse either. From my research, the only thing on the market that scared me was the copper based meds.

I can understand trying to ID it, but if there's more than one issue it may be imposible to ID.

Some people swear by Mela or Pimafix (both together), but it did nothing to heal my Moors, but it didn't make them worse either. From my research, the only thing on the market that scared me was the copper based meds.

Yeah, I just skimmed your thread... sorry to hear about your Moors. :( I hope they bounce back!

I've tried Melafix before when I was treating fungus on my Neon Tetra and to help w/ my DG's ripped Caudal Fin. It didn't help my DG much, (as you can probably see in the pics), but the fungus cleared up on my Neon. I suppose I could try the 2 meds together.

Do you know if they meds are safe to use in a planted tanks? I'm sure they are, but I would hate to kill my new plants. lol Speaking of which, (off-topic), the plants are still doing great... even under my standard lighting. lol I'm hoping to order my T5 HO fixture next week, so hopefully they'll keep holding strong! :D

McLumpy said:
Yeah, I just skimmed your thread... sorry to hear about your Moors. :( I hope they bounce back!

I've tried Melafix before when I was treating fungus on my Neon Tetra and to help w/ my DG's ripped Caudal Fin. It didn't help my DG much, (as you can probably see in the pics), but the fungus cleared up on my Neon. I suppose I could try the 2 meds together.

Do you know if they meds are safe to use in a planted tanks? I'm sure they are, but I would hate to kill my new plants. lol Speaking of which, (off-topic), the plants are still doing great... even under my standard lighting. lol I'm hoping to order my T5 HO fixture next week, so hopefully they'll keep holding strong! :D

I used them together, full 7 day course (no PWC or you have to restart) with plants and althought it didn't help, nothing got hurt. Tiny spike in ammo was the worst I got.

/OT...

Woo Hoo! Good to hear about your plants. Buy that light, buy that light... hehehe

Mine are doing OK, but the 37 tall needs more light. My kit is due Monday, build/conversion thread to follow and then grab my snorkel, because it's aquascape city for me :D. Before/build/after thread on that too!

\OT...

Back
Top Bottom