moving a rescued ele. ear betta.. should i bath/dip?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smiller1776

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am moving "A.P." a purple elephent ear betta I rescued from it's Current 10 gal tank to a 1.5 with a 1-3gal filter with car or removed ( smaller tank to treat with meds), it had Popeye really bad/ fin rot/ velvet, ect. But he's doing great and seems to be on the path to recovery. But my question is there a bath/dip I can give him that would help.... And what would the recipe be ..... thanks

How long has he been in the hospital tank? And what treatment did you use?

About 2 weeks, he still needs more treatment so the 1.5 will become.the hospatial tank until full recovery, if it's possible. Then in the mean time I plan to get a 5 gal that I also have , all set up with soil substrate covered in white sand for it to be fully planted like the amazon, & fully sterile with separate equipment as to try not to share between the 100% germ free fully cycled 5 gal. Tank ( permanent home for A.P. before breeding) from all tainted tanks they have come in contact with the fish before fully healed .......I.E. 10 gal tank & filter, net used in that tank or any other cleaning tool ect.........

Once again my question is .......Is there a good bath like Epson salt or sea salt how much and how long a soak, if it will help at all pls let me know... I have herd of a brackish water drop for ick?????????? And the meds have been melafix, primafix , & " Ick attack" from kordon... I had invertbrits to deal with before I could set up my 55gal. They are all now there in the pimp 55 ..so I guess I can go the the hardcore stuff with copper, Lol...... I always have had inverts to deal with so I have never use and med. That is not safe for plants and invertabrets..... so does that help draw a better picture :)

ForumRunner_20130919_181307.jpg

Did you use all three meds on the Betta? If so, (knowing that the fish is now recovered) don't use any more medication unless the fish falls ill again.
As for a salt dip, buy aquarium salt and follow the ratios per gallon for Treating Parasites/Illness. Leave the fish in the salt bath for 5-15 minutes and then put back into hospital tank. If he shows signs of stress remove him from the salt bath.

Thanks you ..... that's what I thought , do you know by chance how long after all fish are removed from the tank does the ick/velvet die with-out a host, it looks like I have to move all my guppy' to there own hospatial tank now it looks like( they are in a 55gal with ghost shrimp and crawfish/ a.k.a. free mini lobsters from my front yard :). I have a 29 gal I'll set up for them. and use fish only meds and have them sleep in darkness for a week Lol)... I got 2nd and 3rd generation's in the mix so I have to try to get them all out which should be fun.. other than that is there any thing else I can do or anything I am missing to get rid of this disease once and for all, the battle has been going on for over a month now.....

ForumRunner_20130919_222256.jpg

And one more thing should there be a air stone in the salt bath thanks again

ForumRunner_20130919_222937.jpg

No, there does not need to be an air stone running during the salt bath. The 5-15 minutes is not enough to affect their respiration.

To treat for ich, add 1 TBSP of aquarium safe salt for each 5g of water and raise your temp slowly over 6 hours to 86 degrees Fahrenheit. This should take a week and yes add an airstone for extra oxygen from the heat

Thats the best and most effective way to kill off any ich

Back
Top Bottom