Multiple Problems With New Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlliW

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I got a Shubunkin Goldfish and a Fantail Goldfish a couple of days ago. They are really little right now and in a 5 gallon tank. (I've googled and realize that this is very small) at first they were very inactive they laid at the bottom of the tank and wouldn't eat. Now my fantail eats but my shubunkin usually spits it out. They both had white strings hanging off of them then they fell off and now my shubunkin has one. They are now gulping for air at the surface. I checked pH Niatrate Nitrite Hardness and alkalinity and they were all normal except hardness which was at 150. I think it's also relevant to note that I have a filter and had a rosy red that died the first day in the tank. Please help! I'm afraid the others might die too. I added a picture. I hope it came out

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 104
I don't know the exact values, but nitrate is 0 nitrite 0 hardness 125-175 alkalinity 0 ph 7-7.2 and I'm not sure about the filter.

One more thing to add. I tried to get many different foods to see if they liked something else and they didn't. I have goldfish flake sun dried baby shrimp and tank nibbles that stick to the tank. They just made it cloudy in the tank.

Hi! Welcome to AA!!! You need to start by investing in a good liquid test kit such as the API fw master test kit. Strips are inaccurate at best and you must know your ammonia levels. Your fish's behavior and food spitting/refusal are classic symptoms of ammonia poisoning. I would also suggest investing in a good water such as Prime which will help to detox ammonia & nitrite as well as dechlorinate & condition.

Unfortunately, as you are finding out, a 5g is way too small for these guys. Toxin levels will rise very quickly and this tank will likely never cycle properly because the bioload is too extreme. Multiple daily water changes & testing are going to be necessary to try & keep toxins in check until you can either invest in much bigger tank or decide to return/rehome them. Here's some links with more info- please ask any questions you may have!!

Hi! Just an update, they are much more active this morning I changed 50% of the water and put in an ammonia clear tab. They aren't getting stuck near the filter anymore either, which I forgot to mention was happening. And I found the package for my filter its a marina power filter.

Just keep doing those water changes. I would change 50% of the water every other day. Did you get a api testing kit? also do you plane on getting a larger tanks?

I haven't got the test kit yet is it expensive? And I'm not sure what I'm going to do for the tank. I might get a new one for my house and just get new fish for my dorm.

I would try and return shubunkin because he will grow huge and really needs a pond. Try and get yourself a 20 gallon tank on Craigslist and a hefty filter. And keep learning.

I got my fish at Walmart and the tag said that in a tank a shubunkin will only grow to 6 inches

API master test kit is perfect. I would advise doing a little research on your fish and see what you come up with. Walmart just wants to sell fish. I wouldn't trust anything they claim. I have only seen those that type advertised for ponds.

Back
Top Bottom