Murder!! Who is to blame???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Balashark

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well, my tank has been set up, cycled, for about a month. The algea is under controll. Just when things started to look good, 2 flag tails died!!! They had many bite marks on their tail, but who done it?? Here is a list of fish in this 90 gallon aquarium
8 cherry barbs
6 emerald cats
6 ram,
1 flag tail,
1 clown pleco,
1 flashpleco,
1 snail,
2 opoline gouramis
1 silver dollar,
2 red hooks,
5 sm balas,
1 irredesent shark
1 whiptail catfish
1 tiger green barb, (my #1 suspect)
2 algea eaters
1 mickey mouse platy
1 clown loach

I have watched the tank, and none of them show aggression in any way. They dont even chase each other! So who did it????

Could have been the rams or barbs but almost all you fish need to be kept in schools of 5+. Keeping them alone can stress them out which can lead to diseases, parasites, or uncharacteristic aggression.

Also the balas could be to blame which I wouldn't keep in anything under 125 cause they can get quite large.

I think the balas. I feel you've added too many fish too fast. Them balas will need to be rehomed because of their adult size.

Well. I bought the tank on craigs list. It came with fish

shellieca said:
It's also possible that they were bit on after death. Sorry you've had a loss.

I noticed the flagtails injured tail the day before he died. Same wit the other.

Balas ,rams ,or barbs .all super semi agressive ,,rams shouldn't even be with any thing but rams .

My guess is the balas or the tiger barb. They can be particularly nippy if they don't have a proper school. And no, rams make pretty good community fish. They could be a suspect if particularly rambunctious, though.

The coaus of death has been decided.it was not murder at all! It was FIN ROTT. I have treated it, but not before it took a cherry barb. :(

Back
Top Bottom