My betta exploded?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drew123795

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What happened? Her stomach burst open and white stuff came out. Anyone know what this is?

Could you post your water parameters? Tank size, water temp, ammo, nitrates, nitrites, pH, anyone else in the tank?

I just started so I don't know most of those things but the temperature was 75 and and she was in the tank alone

So sorry to hear about this. It sounds like it could be a parasite infestation? Is the fish still alive?

Invest in a liquid test kit. They will help you pinpoint problem areas in you water parameters. Did you have a filter on the tank? What is your water change schedule?

It has no filter I do water changes daily and no the fish is not alive anymore :(

She was very inactive. I thought it was constipation so I had stopped feeding her the day before

It very well could have been internal parasites. Hard to say. I would definitely clean the tank well before adding another fish though...no soap though.

Now every fish in my aquarium is expanding :( I don't know what to do

I took her out of the main aquarium into a separate one once she started expanding

I've not had to deal with parasites before but I believe API general cure is effective? I would wait until someone more familiar with fish diseases speaks up

Louches dont tolerate meds very well especially not general cure and.they arent to good with salt either.. could try feeding them.shelled peas incase its a blocked up issue and find a medication that will treat parasites that is safe for louches

Sent from my LG-E460f using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Get to pet store asap! You need meds, filter, test kit. Pretty sure you have parasites.

worm of the gut or body cavity.

Cestode family. (Cestoda) many types but all are internal parasites at some point.

See ligula intestinalis. Internal parasite. Treat as such.

Back
Top Bottom