my betta is acting strange...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishnova

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, my betta does this weird thing. He goes up for air, when his mouth protrudes out of the waters surface he keeps his mouth open, and keeps it open above the surface for a few seconds, before suddenly closing and submerging himself.

One time he did this, he jumped really high, and suddenly, too! It is as if he takes a big yawn and his jaw gets stuck. Kinda of difficult to explain. Happened two or so times, a minute apart from eachother.

My readings before my pwc were 0 ammo, 0 nitrites, 5 nitrates ppm

And after 0 ammo, 0 nitrites, 0 I guess?hard to tell)) nitrate ppm after the 50% pwc.

Anyone have any ideas??

Fishnova said:
Hi, my betta does this weird thing. He goes up for air, when his mouth protrudes out of the waters surface he keeps his mouth open, and keeps it open above the surface for a few seconds, before suddenly closing and submerging himself.

One time he did this, he jumped really high, and suddenly, too! It is as if he takes a big yawn and his jaw gets stuck. Kinda of difficult to explain. Happened two or so times, a minute apart from eachother.

My readings before my pwc were 0 ammo, 0 nitrites, 5 nitrates ppm

And after 0 ammo, 0 nitrites, 0 I guess?hard to tell)) nitrate ppm after the 50% pwc.

Anyone have any ideas??

Sounds like he's just taking a breath of air to me. Bettas have an organ called the labyrinth organ witch allows them to breath air from the surface. Do you have a lid on your tank? they are prone to jumping.

I have a hood. It's like if he's taking a really long breath, is that normal?

My mother in laws bettas do that all the time. She started feeding them by hand when they did it. After reading its them getting air I'm not sure she should be dropping food in their mouths now. Lol

Fishnova said:
I have a hood. It's like if he's taking a really long breath, is that normal?

Yes.

Mlani said:
My mother in laws bettas do that all the time. She started feeding them by hand when they did it. After reading its them getting air I'm not sure she should be dropping food in their mouths now. Lol

Probably not the best thing to be doing. Try not to over feed them either. Their little bellies are only as big as their eye and they are prone to bloat if over fed. :)

Lol!!!!! I know why my betta jumped!!!!
I fed my fish earlier, and when I opened my lid later on today to move a plant, I saw I accidentally dropped some pellets on the rim of my tank on the inside. My betta was trying to get to the food!! What a little pig. Reminds me of me. Lol!!!

Back
Top Bottom