My Betta is swimming weird!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OrangeSadie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I don't quite know how to describe how she's swimming so I've attached a youtube video here:

I hope you can see it. She's losing control. I was doing my essay when I took a break to watch her swim then I realized she wasn't acting normal. She's still relatively new but she wasn't swimming like this when I first got her.

First two things.

Is the tank cycled and what are the parameters???

Next is do a pwc (partial water change) and vac the bottom if possible. Maybe 50% if you do usual water changes each week of around 25%.

If you do not then do 2 - 25% pwc, one and then immediately do another, and test the water. If still not in safe levels do 2 more 25% pwc. Test if not safe levels, do a 50%, and try again.

The reason for smaller back to back pwc is a more gradual change to the total dissolved solids and differences between the water in there now and the very clean water is a bit shocking for fish.

If you have been doing consistent pwc you can do a 50% test and then another 50% if needed.

Other wise the fish is moving around jerkily and it could be Ammonia Nitrite or Nitrate poisoning.

But it could likely be Ich, or other external parasite.
Here is a link for Addressing Ich.
Freshwater Ich? Yuck! - Aquarium Advice

If you aren't yet familiar with the nitrification cycle check out the article in my signature for - New to fish keeping.

Water change. Yes! And you have 2 females in that tank with a divider?? Try taking the divider out and see how they do together. Usually 2 females can be together. But, I'd definitely check your water. Check filter, and clean the gravel and glass. Always test you water with Betta's, they are picky. And check your heat too! 79-80 is very highly recommended for them. Never up and down, too hot, too cold.

First two things.

Is the tank cycled and what are the parameters???

I didn't check the water yesterday since it was already late at night, but I will guarantee do a water change as soon as I get home from school. I don't know what to say about my tank being cycled. It was cycled BEFORE I got her, the betta, as I already had another fish living in that tank for a long time. When I did get her, I decided to clean the tank because it was dirty and there was this dark green color to it. So I guess I restarted the cycle. But I heard that the filter is where all that good bacteria lived so I left it in its own aquarium water and when I was about to re-fill the newly cleaned tank, I used conditioner right before the waterline got to the filter so the bacteria wouldn't get killed by chlorine. Then I used API Quickstart.

Back
Top Bottom