My betta is very sick:(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crewless

Aquarium Advice Activist
inclosed is a picture and he has like a blood spot on his side also sleeping on his side he lost his color and is now looking thin the thing is he eats normaly and its driveing me nuts tank is at a constant 75 now dont ask for water conditions cause i dont know i need to buy the master test kit

I dont have that in my water im a country boy who has a well but i use bottled water for his tank is that a problem

Attachments

• image-3611819936.jpg
    image-3611819936.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 62
  • image-2927016746.jpg
    image-2927016746.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 48
  • image-2323524544.jpg
    image-2323524544.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 56
How often and how much do you change out? How long has the tank been set up? Does it have a filter?

I would still use dechlorinator, unless you're very sure about the quality of the bottled water. It has other benefits too, like promoting the slime coat on the fish.

You guys ask to many questions lol but ok 5 gallon tank heated and filtered i have had the tank for a couple months now o.o and im doing a 50 % water change tomarrow

Crewless said:
You guys ask to many questions lol but ok 5 gallon tank heated and filtered i have had the tank for a couple months now o.o and im doing a 50 % water change tomarrow

Lots of questions because we need all the info to help diagnose whats wrong.

Be careful! You don't wanna change more than 25% of the water at a time, otherwise the big change will stress and make your fish worse. Also, whenever adding water to a tank, or setting a tank up, add a water conditioner, it's something that you can buy anywhere, walmart, petco, and a small bottle will cost you under 5 bucks :)

Jillyhurtaway said:
Be careful! You don't wanna change more than 25% of the water at a time, otherwise the big change will stress and make your fish worse. Also, whenever adding water to a tank, or setting a tank up, add a water conditioner, it's something that you can buy anywhere, walmart, petco, and a small bottle will cost you under 5 bucks :)

A large water change is fine. If preformed regularly they don't change the parameters very much because the water is always clean. The only reason I would recommend a small water change is if the tank has very high nitrates and/or dissolved solids. Too large of a change then would shock the fish. In that case multiple small changes over a few days to bring it down instead of one large one.

I hope your fish is doing better.

Sometimes bettas are in very bad condition to begin with, and very stressed already when we bring them home. Around here, they are kept in little plastic cups with about 2 inches of water, and are ignored until someone either buys them or they die. That's not really a good start.

If your betta was mine here is what I would do:
buy some dechlorinator, make sure it says "promotes slime coat" or something along those lines. When I tested some bottled water for my chemistry class it had more junk in it than my tap water! With the dechlorinator you'll be sure the water is okay each time, and the aloe vera in it is good for the fish's skin.
Do about a 25% water change each day using the dechlorinator, until he looks better. Make sure the water is exactly the same temp using a thermometer. In a big tank with healthy fish temperature fluctuations aren't as big of a deal. But in a small tank with a sick fish they are.

If the fish doesn't have any parasites or anything like that, he should get better. I sure hope he does:flowers:

Check your bottled water from Walmart... Does it say "spring water" or "purified water" . Spring water is probably fine to use without a water conditioner.

When I had well water I didn't use a water conditioner, although Ive heard you should just in case there are heavy metals in your well water.

I think daily 25% water changes would be the most beneficial. Also what size tank is he in and is it cycled?
You may also find he becomes more active if you raise the tempt to 78-82. I keep my betta tanks right around 80.

In addition to the advice above I'd check the water and make sure it's spring water and not distilled/purified/RO (reverse osmosis) water. If it is, then it's stripped of all minerals and fish need minerals (which could be why the little guy is sick) so you'd either need to change your water source to spring water or tap/well water with conditioner or add minerals back into the water with something like RO Rite or Seachem Replenish.

Also since the tank is fairly new it's possible that there's ammonia, etc in the tank that is hurting the fish. This is one of the times a test kit would be really handy to know what's going on in the water. When was the last time you did a water change and how often do you do them? I'd advise a 50% water change every couple of days until you can get a test kit and either pinpoint or rule out toxins in the water as being an issue.

Back
Top Bottom