My betta was attacked!!!!! Please respond immediatly!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are the catfish "regular" or pygmy? We are about to have a female betta and 7 pygmy catfish in a 10g tank. They are currently in a 5g (TEMPORARILY, I would NEVER recommend that to anyone except in temporary cases with frequent water changes like what we are doing!) and as soon as we are done testing our bio filter in our cycled tank (long story to all of that), they will all go in the 10g. I HOPE tomorrow or Wednesday.

Cory cats must be together. We had 5 originally, and then we got 2 more 3 days later. They pigpile, play, and forage together most of the time. They are so cute :)

Corydoras pygmaeus (Pygmy Cory) — Seriously Fish
Those are the catfish we have. They were mislabeled as c. habrosus at the petstore though.

We wanted catfish so much and when we realized that only pygmys would really work in a 10g tank since they need to be in a group, we decided to get those adorable little pygmy catfish :D

I'm sorry that your betta had his fins ripped off. Until you get a new hospital tank, change as much cup water as you can daily for him, and try to suck out the poop too! A new turkey baster that has never been touched with soap (just rinse with very hot water) will do the trick :) Squeeze the bulb thing before putting it in the water. It takes a bit getting used to, but, it can work.

Most Cories will NOT thrive in a 10g. Not enough floor space. Most "Dwarf" Cories get 2.5-3". They need at least a 20L.

Pygmy species (3 species) are the only Corydoras I recommend for 10g.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your julii Cory is almost certainly C trilineatus ( a 3 Lined Cory ).
http://www.scotcat.com/factsheets/c_trilineatus.htm

Cories should be in groups. They can live 10 yrs with proper care.

Bettas in 10g have limited choices of tank mates. There isn't a lot of hiding places or room for territories.

I'd second White Clouds as a possibility instead of the Cory.

Skirt Tetras are nippy, need at least 5-6 fish and should be in a 20g minimum.
IME

If you want to start over you can do lots of plants and try
Cherry Shrimp
Or CPDs
Or Ember Tetras

You can mix CPDs with RCS but they will eat the babies.

Are you determined to keep your Cory because you want a cleanup crew ???
Cories need their own food. They don't eat Algae or poop. I feed sinking Catfish pellets ( a piece) , frozen worms and shrimp.

One of the issues of mixing Bettas with other fish is keeping the Bettas from over eating and bloating.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys! I have decided to return the tetras and got 3 platies instead. I will add a few more cories in a couple of weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I have my Betta in with harlequin rasboras. But I would stay away from danios and tetras. The rasboras are docile and my betta doesn't look twice at them. I also have 4 cories but I have a 29 gallon. When I had a 10 I had just 4 cories and a betta and it was great. My betta got so used to the cories they would all cuddle up together ( seriously weird for a betta). But I have a really calm friendly betta.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Oh yes and white clouds are great with bettas too.

Thanks guys! I have decided to return the tetras and got 3 platies instead. I will add a few more cories in a couple of weeks.

I don't know what part of " you don't have room in a 10g " that you don't get.

A Betta AND 3 Platies , not counting the Cories, will be overstocked.

You cannot keep adding Cories, your fish will die from all the Ammonia.

A 10g is too small for most Cories. If you want Platies, you can have 2 Platies and No Betta and no other fish.

Please rethink your stocking plan. You have a 10g and a Betta. Stock realistically and not just because you want it.

If you want this type of tank, buy a 30g.

Most fish in stores aren't full grown. You need to study up and provide what your fish need for a long and healthy life.

Sorry to lecture, but we are trying to help you and keep your fish alive.

You'll enjoy your tank more if your fish stay healthy ???

Sent from my LG-V410 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You should do a partial water change. At least a 3rd of the water. I use Prime as a conditioner in the new water. Temperature matched of course. Keep testing your water as well. If your Tetras are acting odd it could be a water issue.

If you put a dark background and easy live plants your tank will look more full also ☺

If you want to get a 5g for the Betta, we can help you come up with a stocking plan for the 10g.

I don't know what part of " you don't have room in a 10g " that you don't get.
A Betta AND 3 Platies , not counting the Cories, will be overstocked.
You cannot keep adding Cories, your fish will die from all the Ammonia.
A 10g is too small for most Cories. If you want Platies, you can have 2 Platies and No Betta and no other fish.
Please rethink your stocking plan. You have a 10g and a Betta. Stock realistically and not just because you want it.
If you want this type of tank, buy a 30g.
Most fish in stores aren't full grown. You need to study up and provide what your fish need for a long and healthy life.

Coursair is right. Many people simply want fish for decoration and do not care if they are the proper sized tank or with the proper types of tank mates.
If you overstock your 10 gallon your poor fish will be swimming in excess ammonia that burns them, so please upgrade to a larger tank if you want a tank that has a variety of fish to look at, or just wait and but more fish later
if you can't get a larger tank at this time.

Can a betta go with 3 corgies in a five gallon?

Possibly... If they are still puppies... *smirks*

Shouldn't be a problem... just watch their stress levels, make sure you have a good filter and don't miss weekly water changes.

Those "rules" are only general stocking rules. You can put 100 little fish in a 30 gallon if the get along and don't stress each other out. But I have also seen a single inch long fish need his own 10 gallon tank because he gets easily stressed. Or a pleco that would kill any other bottom feeders. So unfortunately it relies on the fishes personality... and you cannot really know that until you test it.

If your fish get along fine when your tank is "over stocked" just have a good filter, monitor your levels and change water when you need too.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Possibly... If they are still puppies... *smirks*

Shouldn't be a problem... just watch their stress levels, make sure you have a good filter and don't miss weekly water changes.

Those "rules" are only general stocking rules. You can put 100 little fish in a 30 gallon if the get along and don't stress each other out. But I have also seen a single inch long fish need his own 10 gallon tank because he gets easily stressed. Or a pleco that would kill any other bottom feeders. So unfortunately it relies on the fishes personality... and you cannot really know that until you test it.

If your fish get along fine when your tank is "over stocked" just have a good filter, monitor your levels and change water when you need too.

The issue with Nano tanks 10g or less that I've seen over and over is that if they are fully stocked or overstocked and you miss even ONE water change or the power goes out....small tanks crash FAST !!! So advising newbies to ignore rules or good advice and just throw any fish crammed into a 5 or 10g with a Betta is irresponsible and usually ends with sick or dead fish and in worse case scenario with a new eager aquarist selling all tanks and never wanting fish again because they kept dying.

Saying its ok to cram three Cories that will grow to 2.5"-3" into a 5g with a Betta is like saying its fine to raise a kid in a closet. Bettas are relatively inactive for their size. That is why a Betta can handle a 5g or 10g for its' whole life. Cories are very active, prefer groups of 6 or more and need floor space.

To the OP...Im sorry for all the opinions flying around. Please keep reading and asking questions. I hold strong opinions, but there is always more to learn. If you have a local Club, they can be an awesome resource and a cheaper way to buy equipment.

Enjoy your tanks ???

I have a beta and 4 blue neon tetras and 2 black tetras as tank mates for my beta. They did fine but I read if you have a dense amount of plants and hiding places for the fish it will do fine. So far mine is doing well as tank mates. I would suggest to add more plants and hiding places in the tank, hopefully it will help. Poor beta, I hope he gets better soon!!

Platties Are also baby makers. Your tank will be like the old lady who lived in the shoe before you know it.

Sent from my iPhone

The issue with Nano tanks 10g or less that I've seen over and over is that if they are fully stocked or overstocked and you miss even ONE water change or the power goes out....small tanks crash FAST !!! So advising newbies to ignore rules or good advice and just throw any fish crammed into a 5 or 10g with a Betta is irresponsible and usually ends with sick or dead fish and in worse case scenario with a new eager aquarist selling all tanks and never wanting fish again because they kept dying.

Saying its ok to cram three Cories that will grow to 2.5"-3" into a 5g with a Betta is like saying its fine to raise a kid in a closet. Bettas are relatively inactive for their size. That is why a Betta can handle a 5g or 10g for its' whole life. Cories are very active, prefer groups of 6 or more and need floor space.

To the OP...Im sorry for all the opinions flying around. Please keep reading and asking questions. I hold strong opinions, but there is always more to learn. If you have a local Club, they can be an awesome resource and a cheaper way to buy equipment.

Enjoy your tanks ???

I don't disagree with anything you said :) I have been on some pretty strong meds the last week and my brain hasn't been working! Yay... sickness...

For some reason I thought it was a 10 gallon... 3 corys and one betta in a 5 gallon is not a good idea. Coursair is correct, corys need groups of 6 or more.

My betta lives in a 5 gallon by himself. Sometimes he has a single apple snail living with him.

My original post came off in the wrong way. What I ment is the rules can be broken, but everything is case by case. If you know you will miss a water change (ever), don't break the rules. If you know that your betta hates other fish and they stress him out, don't break the rules. If you are a beginner and have not read every piece of information that you can possibly find on a specific fish, breaking the rules may not be a good idea. If you are already over stocked your tank, don't break the rules.

Betta fish can live in waters that other fish wouldn't stand a chance. One of the keys for this is they can breath air from the surface.

My (less medicated) advice would be stick with your betta in the five gallon and buy a 20+ gallon tank. I spent three years researching tanks and fish befor I got my 29 gallon. During that time I had my small betta tank. Then only regret I have now is that I didn't buy a 50+ gallon tank :)

Red eye tetras are just as nippy as black skirts. Neither of those species should be kept with a Betta at all, even in a larger tank.

Ember tetras would be fine in a Betta tank as long as the Betta is a mellow one. It's unlikely that you will run across any in a chain store though. They max out at about 1.25" and you could keep 6-8 in your tank.

The cory cat isn't going to be as interesting to keep as it would be in a group, but it's not a big deal.

The guy at Petco is wrong. I wouldn't suggest taking his advice in the future.

You might want to return the other fish but that means that you aren't going to want to put anything else in it because that same thing has a 75 percent chance of happening again. So you might want to return the betta so you can put other fish in instead of having 1 fish in a 10 gallon tank.

Keep your betta! Get another Cory. Or ditch the cories (if they are meant only as clean up crew) and get amano shrimp. They do a great job and are a neat animal. I'm not sure exactly what your male betta will get along with, but I think that you could defiantly add more than 2-3 cories and one betta... As long as you do request water changes and testing. What kind of fish do you want?

Sent from my iPhone

First off, people who work at large pet chains like petsmart and petco usually have no idea what they are talking about. Not only are the fish usually unhealthy and stressed due to the living conditions at stores, the staff also have no clue what can live well with what. With a 10 gallon, I would take the tetras back. Poor betta was nipped and I pray for a recovery.

Then I would find a small fish only store with each tank on a separate filter, with healthy stock, and staff who know their stuff. I would consider something docile like the Platy or something quick like endler guppies. Endlers are hyper, fun to watch, and wont usually bother anyone. Plus they can outrun a slow betta anyday. Platys are bigger and known to be peaceful fish for community tanks. Maybe another cory as they dont like to be alone. I have a betta but he lives alone in a 5 gallon in my kitchen. I had some snails with him, but he always was biting them, so they got moved to the big tank and are now the size of golf balls.

If you dont mind having another tank, you could set your hospital tank up for the Betta and keep him alone. They enjoy being alone. Then you can add more variety to the 10 gallon, but you would be out a QT. Its up to you, but I have just found betta's do well living solo with slow moving water.

Back
Top Bottom