My Black Moor is sick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kittenicole1313

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 10 gal tank with a black moor, a fancy tail goldfish, and a koi looking comet( calico looking); all are about 1inch in length. My Black moor has been at the bottom of the tank the past 2 days and is looking brown instead of black and has a white film on him. The tank that they are in use to have a kissing fish in it but after 9 years he died and we rinsed the tank and gravel out and the filter of course with no soap. The new water was added using Jungle Start Right with allantoin. I am feeding them what I have left of my fish food which is wardley tropical fish flake food; they all seem to be eating it. I also have put in wardley algae discs because we put an algae eater; not a pleco; a very small catfish looking fish with a sucker that is silver and has a black stripe. I don't know my tank parameters. I have had the fish about 2 weeks, but we ran the tank for a week before getting them after my gouromi died. I noticed that the temp of the tank is almost 80 I'm not sure if that would affect them; but like I said it is only the black moor that is sick. Please help!! I don't want him to die.

I have included 2 pictures of him.

Attachments

• IMG00005-20090608-2211[1].jpg
    IMG00005-20090608-2211[1].jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG00006-20090608-2212[1].jpg
    IMG00006-20090608-2212[1].jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
isn't the temperature too high for goldfish?
3 goldfish in 10 gallon is not a good idea that will need to move soon as they grow and poop
it sounds like your tank is not cycled since it is new...
do partial water change and test the water and if you see any ammonia or nitrite keep up with the partial water changes to keep them low

Welcome to AA. First the tank is way too small for those fish. Do you have an ammonia test? I am betting your ammonia is spiking, do a large water change 75% and add only dechlorinator. Secondly start reducing the temp. Do daily water changes and get, if you don't have a test kit for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Until you can find a larger tank, you may have to do daily water changes to keep the ammonia, nitrite at 0.

For goldfish you should go with 20 gals for the first goldfish and at least 10 gals each additional goldfish.

Welcome to AA. First the tank is way too small for those fish. Do you have an ammonia test? I am betting your ammonia is spiking, do a large water change 75% and add only dechlorinator. Secondly start reducing the temp. Do daily water changes and get, if you don't have a test kit for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Until you can find a larger tank, you may have to do daily water changes to keep the ammonia, nitrite at 0.

For goldfish you should go with 20 gals for the first goldfish and at least 10 gals each additional goldfish.

Why is it only affecting my black moor? The fish are itty bitty, like I said I use to have a kissing fish in it and he was like the size of my hand; he lived 9 years in it. So the tank is not new I rinsed it out the day after he died and let it run for a week and then got the little goldfish. I do think the water is too warm so I am leaving the light off till I can get one that doesn't heat the water. I am gonna get the test kit to see if that is it, but do you think that the temp would make him look like that? Also, if I do the changes will he get better or is he doomed?

It may be the black moor was the weakest to start. Also comets are more hardy fish. I believe the ammonia is what is making him sick, the temp is not helping. The tank is not cycled if the benefical bacteria has died off. Which is will have died off, if there was no ammonia source to feed the cycle.

Without seeing the fish I can't tell you if he is doomed. His best chance is clean water. He may be suffering a bacterial infection causing fungus. How long have you had each of the fish?

you need to read up on cycling a tank when you rinsed out your tank and the ran it with out any fish you lost your good bacteria, so it is like starting with a brand new tank. gold fish need at least twenty gallons for the first one and the ten for each additional fish they are very high waste producers.
Please read up on cycling a new tank in the beginers section.

It may be the black moor was the weakest to start. Also comets are more hardy fish. I believe the ammonia is what is making him sick, the temp is not helping. The tank is not cycled if the benefical bacteria has died off. Which is will have died off, if there was no ammonia source to feed the cycle.

Without seeing the fish I can't tell you if he is doomed. His best chance is clean water. He may be suffering a bacterial infection causing fungus. How long have you had each of the fish?

I got all the goldfish about 2 weeks ago from a walmart and the algae eater I have had for a few months; he used to be in another tank with a Betta and then the Betta died so when I got the goldfish I put him in with them. The algae eater came from Petsmart. But all the goldfish were in the same tank at walmart and I got them all together.

I agree with what had been said .... Clean water is most important thing here.

Walmart fish is not know to be healthy, there is likely disease in the fish, which is made worse by the poor water condition.

Please read up on cycling so you understand what the tank is going through. A cycling tank accumulates toxic wastes which stress the fish, causing disease. Until you can test for & correct the poor water conditions, the fish will not do well.

Back
Top Bottom