My brothers tank has parasites and I’m worried they will spread to mine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YunoGasai212121

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My brothers tank has white worms in it and we use the same cleaning tube do you think they can spread threw it and are they harmful? His fish look pretty healthy and his female is laying eggs. IMG_2176.jpgIMG_2175.jpgIMG_2180.jpg

My brothers tank has white worms in it and we use the same cleaning tube do you think they can spread threw it and are they harmful? His fish look pretty healthy and his female is laying eggs. View attachment 309692View attachment 309693View attachment 309694

are they free floating and wiggling back and forth in a S shape? are they climbing up the glass and have a V shaped head? sorry i cant tell in the picture. it looks like they are free floating but want to make sure.

He said they were on his tank cover but I never got to look at them cause he washed them off. And they aren’t moving they just sit there

I can't be 100% from those pics but they look like detritus worms*to me. They happen in most freshwater tanks that are overfed and dirty. They are harmless and there because the food in there. I'd just recommend cleaning the tank really well and vacuuming the bottom. Also reduce feeding to just what the fish can eat. The population will drop quickly to something far less alarming. You may also see a flatworm or two in there. Back in I was first keeping tanks as a kid this happened to me and I panicked. Bleached the whole take fish and all. Now I know how silly I was and why it happened.

Okay thank you. I don’t really care as long as they are harmless because they are in my brothers tank. I just wanted to make sure they wouldn’t spread to mine and kill all the fish because I use the same cleaning tube.

Okay thank you. I don’t really care as long as they are harmless because they are in my brothers tank. I just wanted to make sure they wouldn’t spread to mine and kill all the fish because I use the same cleaning tube.

I wouldn’t worry about it.

Back
Top Bottom