My Cardinal Tetras and My Guppies....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The RCS can eat the fish waste, and the Plants will require the ammonia from the fish waste for photosynthesis. So I think I got the fish waste problem under control.

I change the water every week or every 5 days and tomorrow I'll change the water as well as adding more sands for the plants. Since I only had a few of them so the plants tend to float again and again.... Troublesome... Now I have more, gonna add them tomorrow

Yes they're suffering... But I need more money to get bigger tank for them. I plan to make this small tank to breed the guppies, so it is a temporary tank for them actually...

I'm saving up some money to buy another tank. As well as thinking of where should I put the next bigger tank.... Since I have a very limited amount of space for these tanks..... It's a really small house.....

As far as I know, and from doing research on them, RCS don't actually eat much (if any) fish waste. They graze on biofilm and algae mostly. Plus, they leave their own feces as well. Plants are great at taking in nitrates, but the ammonia has to be able to convert to it for the plants to absorb it. I really hope you can get that larger tank soon! Those fishies will really appreciate it!

Again, I'm really not trying to be rude at all. A 7 gal is very small and you have 4 times the recommended amount of fish for it.

More like 8 tanks for 2 lines per strain poppa. lol where are you getting these extra 2 tanks?
You can in theory keep guppies seperate pure and without inbreeding with 3 tanks. Male, Female, Fry. When fry get sexable, put them in tank with other male or females. When you want to breed, you could always use a small 5 gallon tank or plastic tub with heater and filter to get the male to mate to whichever females you choose. Smaler tank means less room for female to run which means faster he will hit the females.

1 trio = 1 tank,
Babies = tank 2
Proper seperation of sexes upon soonest possible chances =2 more tanks
Qt.= 5th tank
5 tanks 1 strain 1 generation.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

More tanks will be required to properly go forward without inbreeding after so many generations.

You dont need a Q tank for every strain, but hey if you can manage it the more tanks the better for guppies.

Just my preference and after many years of breeding them succesfully its still working today. But yes more than 5 per strain after the first 1-2 gens. Not to mention if you want to do it correctly (not just if you can manage) then youll need a whole new set of tanks to introduce a new trio of that same strain as to avoid inbreeding. But hey, if you can manage to breed for generations correctly while introducing new blood to the strain for health and avoiding inbreeding, then please share. Until then ill stick to my way & the way taught to me by an old IFGA standards judge.

From my uncle's experience... He said that I need 1 male, and 3 females, then put them into a tank. He said that he doesn't need big tank, he only need 4 tanks. 1 for the fry (sometimes he used 2 tanks, so he has another one just in case), 1 for mating, and 1 for males, 1 for females. He usually sell the rest that he doesn't like to the store (lol). The one for mating doesn't have to be big. 3-5 gallons should be enough. For the fry must be big, because sometimes he got more fry than he expected. If not big, then buy 2 tanks of the same size (or three).

But I'm not sure, since I'm not a pro at this, I'm still a newcomer to the world of fishes xD. But seriously, someone must stop my father's fish fever (that's what I call it). Because I already told him to not buy more fish for the main tank. But he just bought 6 more pink danios from the store today.... Such a problem.....

You can breed gups with just 1 tank. But to thwart imbreeding it takes more than that. Or else you just breed the one trio till it dies and thats it. Past that your mating brothas n sistas. Some slight inbreeding is acceptible when you cross young back to mom if your line breeding for certain traits.

Just my preference and after many years of breeding them succesfully its still working today. But yes more than 5 per strain after the first 1-2 gens. Not to mention if you want to do it correctly (not just if you can manage) then youll need a whole new set of tanks to introduce a new trio of that same strain as to avoid inbreeding. But hey, if you can manage to breed for generations correctly while introducing new blood to the strain for health and avoiding inbreeding, then please share. Until then ill stick to my way & the way taught to me by an old IFGA standards judge.

I could care less about the IFGA standards. They are the Self proclaimed guppy gods....they know it all and go way to far with it, way to serious about it. These are little fish that live for 1.5-2 years max, not show dogs.
I dont know of a way to keep pure guppies properly without at least 8 tanks, two lines of the same strain. Just like you. And me personally....No, No way am i keeping 8 tanks just to keep one pure strain. Its not worth it unless you have a basement or large room where you can setup alot of tanks. I just dont have the space for such an operation, but believe me i could.
The problem with IFGA is the way they say "This guppy's tail has to be such size"
I understand that its no diffrent than say a dog show, but personally such large tails are unhealthy for male guppies.
Im sure there are some nice people in the ifga, but its not something i ever care to get into or be a part of personally. My dad use to be a member and showed and won guppy contest back in the 70s and early 80s. He even beat Stan shubel once in female HB Blue.....But for me they are too crazy about fish being perfect. Ive seen them reccomend to people to cull guppies that i would consider breeders!
The method that im gonna try, is the same the fish farms use. Mix males and mix females seperately in same sex tanks, but have diffrent strains. Mate the same colored Strains in a 5 gallon, return to ten gallon, and raise the fry together until you can tell what strain and what sex they are.
In theory you could keep 3 strains of guppies pure in only 4 tanks.
1 ten for males, 1 ten for females, 1 for fry, and a 5.5 for mating.
Its also easier for the smaller tailed males to hit the females, especially in a smaller 5 gallon tank.
Just the way i am gonna do it. Pet store varieties are also easy to get fresh blood whenever you want.

Oh... About the females and the males... How do u tell which is male and which is female.... I still don't understand....

If you can give me picture samples, that would be so much better/easier for me to understand xD

The females have very little, if any, color to their bodies. Their tails will usually still have nice colors to them, but the males have colorful tails and bodies. As they mature, the females will have a more rounded belly and will typically grow larger than the males as well. There's a few other ways to tell them apart as well. It's really not difficult at all. Try googling it. There's plenty of info about sexing guppies.

Oh ok thx, I'll try googling them :D

Since I've seen guppies that is as large as mollies (or slightly smaller, I can't remember well), and the shopkeeper told me that they're the females...... But that big??

And I got this guppy which has a blue and dark blue color. The blue color shines brightly, as bright as the cardinal's or the neon's blue line. Wonder what type of guppy is this one. It's really cool (in my opinion lol).

Hopefully this will help you ID your guppies...

Guppy Facts | How to Breed Guppies

Note in the links picture that the #1 fin is the only ONE real indicator for livebearers...
The anal fin is fan shaped for females and and is pointed along with being called a gonopodium for males..
Good luck hope this helps.

Try to snag a pic and share. Someone might know.

It.... Died..... Sad indeed, I didn't get the time to clean it up. Well, that's what you get if you don't have a place of your own. Schedules will always fall apart in the end....

So only 2 guppies left in my tank, from 7.

The neons and cardinals are surprisingly tough.

The 4 shrimps I put there, only 1 left....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

****... This tank is just too small.... I think I should buy another one. But then what should I do with this tank?? Any ideas??

And can anyone tell me how big of a tank can fit around 7 guppies, 4 mollies, 4 shrimps, 1 algae eater, 7 neons, and 10 cardinals (tho the ones I have now are 2 guppies, 3 mollies, 1 shrimp, 1 algae eater, around 5 neons, and around 3 cardinals).

And did the algae eater eats the shrimps by any chance? Because I've seen it ate my dead fishes until only the bones remain..... And a few of it's flesh...

Back
Top Bottom