My cory cats are dying :(help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Uis this the white patch you are talking about?

Sent from my C6606 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1411513706949.jpg
    1411513706949.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 71
Aww crap it killed both of my clown loaches and African leaf fish do any of my fishes have a chance

Can I still use the equipment (bucket, siphon, net) without having to worry about infecting my other tank I still need to do a water change for my 55g.cichlid tank but I.don't want to.infect their water

Buy a new syphon. You'll contaminate the other tank with whatever it Is.

You should have separate for each tank that you have of each item mentioned.

There are ways of disinfecting things, but that would be best addressed in a new post where more people can offer their disinfecting methods. Right now, I definitely would not use anything that was used in the sick tank.

Soaking in Clorox for a few hours should kill whatever it is. The trick is getting the Clorox to stay in the hose. You'd have to syphon Clorox water into the sink then plug the water out end with your thumb and place it coiled in the full Clorox bucket. After a few hours you would have to flush it like crazy with tap water and then use the same procedure and soak it in super prime water.

However, I read a post on this forum (relative to TB) that said clorox doesn't kill everything.

(Friend of Bill W., One day at a time)

I messaged Matt68005, to check in on your post and pictures with a possible diagnosis. He's provided detailed info in some of the coulmaris threads. If it's coulmaris he should be able to ID it an advise best treatment.

Can you relist the remaining stock? Are any cory or catfish left b/c they can't have salt. A current list will be helpful for Matt68005. ( He's off line right now, but I'm sure he'll help u when he gets back on line.)

I found medicated fish food at eBay:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/151222230764?nav=SEARCH
It's in stock, too.

I have one 2in feather fin squeaker
A bgk 5in
Gold gourami
6 cory cats
1 lizard cat
1 striped rapahel catfish
1 upside down cat
3 milky.mouse platy
3 mollies
2 bumblebee cats

I wish someone with more experience would look at your pics and symptoms. So, sorry that you are stuck in Limbo.

I think, if I were you, I would treat with kanaplex, and possibly Furan2. Remove the carbon prior to treatment.

My answer is just a guess b/c I have never had coulmaris in one of my tanks.

This is what Matt messaged me when he couldn't find your post :

Matt68005 said:
Sorry but i looked and i cant find this thread of yours.....

Please link it to me Asap and i will try to help you.

Remember there is 3 diffrent Gram-Negative bacteria that can kill a fish, Flexibacter columnaris, Aeromonas, psuedomas. They are all Gram Negative and are all treated the same way. Water Quality is of little importance except to keep it free of chemicals and not stress them out with ammonia, as the bacteria live on fish not on detris in the substrate. That would be fungus.

The treatment for all three is just salt and a powerful Gram negative antibiotic, Best thru feed if possible. If it is one of these flesh eating deadly bacteria you gonna have to find one of these antibiotics.

-Terramycin (Oxytetracycline hcl)

-Kanaplex (Kanamycin Sulfate)

-Maracyn-2 (Minocycline)

-Triple Sulfa

Keep in mind that these diseases are Opportunistic and usually related to stress, but are also contaigous. So it makes no sense to dump an antibiotic into an empty tank or go buy $15 dollars worth of antibiotic for one or two sick fish.

If you link me the post ill try to help further....."

No salt for cory or cats!

So I bought some seachem kanaplex how do I use it can I just drop the powder into.the tank?

Majority of the.fish are dead all I have left are my rapahel cat gold.gourami golden killi and two.albino cory but doesn't mean I should just let them die

Sorry it took me so long to find this post.
I would keep the kanaplex and just do a major waterchange, and when you get new fish treat them with the kanamycin as soon as the tank is stocked again.
I've never had problems with salt with my cories. Nor meds. They serve one function in my tank, to kick up detris on the bottom so my filters can pick it up. Ive had them in brackish conditions (with seasalt) with no ill effects, ive also used malachite with them in there with no ill effects. :whistle:
You could also ofc take the tank down and stearlize everything and buy new substrate, but its not really needed since columnaris dosent live on detris in the substrate, it lives on fish.

Wait so use kanaplex then.water change or water change then.kanaplex Cuz I.already used the.kanaplex.
So I can use salt? Can it be normal non iodized salt

Keep checking water parameters. PWC about every 3-4 days and redose the medication for the amount of water that was replaced.

People use aquarium salt, Epsom salt, and pickling salt. You cannot use iodized salt in aquariums.

How are they doing? Read up on this www.glfc.org/pubs/SpecialPubs/sp83_2/pdf/chap23.pdf and this Fish Columnaris | Fungus & Saprolegnia | Treatment & Prevention
and in the future if it comes back give a healthy double dose of aquarium salt and use the kanaplex as directed, and keep a close eye on your fish so you can katch it early on. Remember that columnaris and saprogelia mold go hand in hand, so its usually treated for both at the same time, you can and should combine Furan-2 with the Kanaplex if you see this in the future and theres enough "valuable" fish in the tank. BTW you can get the furan at Petsmart for like 7 dollars its called "Fungus Cure" always read the ingredients it should say nitrofurazone and do not waste money on melafix or primafix, they are just money makers for api, tho the primafix might help A LITTLE killing mold/fungus. Melafix is just effective against certain types of bacteria, a very few certain types, its a money maker product by API and i really think petstore employees are told to tell people to use this just to make money, knowing that it does not work.

Keep checking water parameters. PWC about every 3-4 days and redose the medication for the amount of water that was replaced.

People use aquarium salt, Epsom salt, and pickling salt. You cannot use iodized salt in aquariums.

Or any added igredients that are added to the salt, like you can find "salt balance" that is iodine free, but contains potassium cloride or other chemicals they add to salt, just read the ingredients and make sure it says sodium cloride only. You might need to go to a health food store, or if your raising livebearers, get some sea salt from petsmart and dissolve it for 30 minutes in a bucket of warmish declorinated water by stirring it every 10 minutes. I like to go at the rate of about a cup per 5 gallon bucket, and then top off the top 1/4th of the tank with my seasalt mixed water, just to keep things at bay, livebearers, especially pollecia (mollies/guppies) love it, just don't overdo it because it can cause internal damage if you just say drop them into a tank from fresh water to brackish (been there done that, whoops) and my fish got a little mild case of dropsy. (from just dropping them in saltwater) hehe
have fun enjoy the hobby, do research, learn from books and your own personal mistakes, i cant tell you how many guppies i have killed in the process of learning, now i never loose any, even fish from the petsore or shipped to me. Its just a fun learning process.

I put the 2nd Dose in and everything seems to be.going fine but at night my platys sit at the bottom of the tank Idk if this is normal. So far so good but I can't seem to find my rapahel catfish do you guys know if they can jump out of tanks? And how long should I wait before adding fish

Cory and loaches jump out. So, I imagine catfish jump out. They like going where there are bubbles going up or current going down like by the down flow of the HOB.

Let's hope he is still there and just hiding.

Back
Top Bottom