My Danios Keep Dying.... any explanations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lapintoxic

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I finally chose to ask for help. I have had my tank for about a month and a half now. I followed the fishless cycle article and got some (healthy) seeding material from a friend. (Btw, I have a 20G tank).

I started by stocking my aquarium with 3 Gold Gouramis, 1 Pearl Gourami and 4 Zebra Danios (I have a 30G filter or more - not sure right now - and have build a heck of bacteria in it). I bought all of these fish at the same place.

After the first week, I found one of the Danios in the bottom part of the filter tube so I thought that it might have been "sucked by the filter" and couldn't get away. Then, I noticed that I only had 2 Danios left so I thought that I might have "sucked" (sorry not sure what word you would be using in English) it when doing a PWC.

So, with only 2 Danios left I chose to go get 10 more and came back with 10 of them (still coming from the fish store I got all my other fish). Since, I've seen my Danios dying at the cycle of once a week. I always found them at the bottom of the filter tube so again I thought that the filter was too strong and they couldn't get away so they died there BUT today, I found 2 Danios dead. One at the filter tube and one on the gravel so now I know that they are dying in the tank and then getting "sucked" by the filter.

But my question is why are they dying. They do not look unhealthy, the water quality is very good (no ammonia, no nitrite, nitrate might be around 20-30 -have not check since last week - and the ph is about 7.6).

I do not see my gouramis attacking the Danios but I am not home during the day so I have no idea what might be going on there.

I took a picture that I will upload right after opening the thread so you can see my fish and maybe help to understant why they are dying and if my gouramis might be getting on them.

Thank you all,

PS: don't come here to tell me that I am overstock, the Gouramis are still pretty small and the tank is pretty decorated (I can upload pictures if you want/need).

Ok, so today I've found white spots on multiple Danios. One has a big white spot and 2 others have tiny white spots all over their bodies.

After reading the articles from this forum, I believe that I have to deal with Ich. I am trying to treat it without any chemical so I am slowly rising the temperature to 86 degrees. I also did a 50% PWC and cleaned the gravel tonight.

I would like to add salt to my 20G aquarium as well but I am not sure how the gouramis will do and How much I need to put in the tank.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom