my female dwarf gourami is dying :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nikki

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm very sad :(. I still don't know what happened to her. The male looks better now but the female is dying. She doesn't swim at all but stays motionless at the surface of the water. She's been unwell for 5 weeks but today I think she's dying. What worries me most is that I'm afraid the other fish are going to catch the same disease and I don't know what it is. I'm at a loss. I did some research online, talked to people at my fish club and with you all guys. Do you think it's something particular to gourami?

In the absence of a parasite or any bacterial/fungal infection, I don't have a clue. I'm sure you have tested the water over and over and found nothing abnormal. There are no signs of bloating, sores, inflammation, ect....? How old is this fish? Is it possible that it could be age? Have you tried an antifungal or antibacterial agent? I have had fish get sick and, as a last attempt to cure them, treated with a broad spectrum antibiotic and had good results in a few cases. Sorry I can't be of more help :( . What do you feed them? Anything new that could have caused this? Are they getting a well rounded diet...not just flakes?
Logan J

my female dwarf gourami died :)

Thanks to you all, but unfortuntately, I couldn't do anything. I made a huge change of water and added some salt as I did some weeks ago but this time it was too late or maybe she was worse.
Someone from my fish club ( who advised me about the salt) told me it could be some protozoans (or protozoons, I'm not sure about the word in English.)
I checked on the Internet, too and I found some articles which pointed out on the difficulties to keep these fish, due to a lot of diseases. Is it right?

P.S.(I don't think she was old: I had the fish when she was much smaller, about , 2,5 cms -1 inch, and I had her for 5/6 months)

did you separate the fish from the tank? for more effective treatment it is better to treat the sick fish in a smaller fish tank or a bucket with at least 5 gallons of water...if you have more problems...transfer the sick fish and treat is separately...raise the temperature to about 82-84 degrees when treating...try not to change more then 20% of water a day...also when you treat your fish...sometimes it is required to pull out the filter cartridge out of your filter so it doesn't clear your water of medicine and the treatment wont be successful...

I am sorry to hear about your loss. I too lost fish recently to an unexplained illness. I wish the rest of your fish good health and long lives.

gourami

i have had a few gouramis over the three years of my tank,one of the honey gouramis sickened and then changed darker colour then after a period of time sadly died ,i tried all the obvious things, check water parameters and always did regular water changes, its mate followes on a few months after , the same thing i don't know... myother dwarf gourami a blue/red markings which we bought a while after the honey ones, died suddenly, too young for old age, but i wish i had had this forum to turn to then for advice, so now to it i still have another dwarf that is sickening, its not been well for a month , its listless and has holes in itsa top and bottom fin idont think its being bullied, did your gourami have this, i love gouramis but i am now reluctant to have anymore untill i know more about their behavior and illnesses sorry to hear about yours dying you feel rather helpless watching them

r

Back
Top Bottom