Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 10-01-2012, 06:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bud29's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: In a van, down by the river
Posts: 3,673
Send a message via Yahoo to bud29
My first battle with ich

Well, yesterday I discovered a bad case of ich among my entire school of Emperor Tetras. I do not have a LFS in my town, so I ran to walmart to get stuff to treat it. I got aquarium salt, ich guard by jungle, and an air stone and pump. Walmart did not have a heater with an adjustable thermostat, so I did not buy one. I did find a guy on my local classifieds who was selling an adjustable one, though. I called him intending to pick it up that night but he said he is out of town and will get back wednesday. So, I will have to wait to crank up the heat. Last night I put in 1 tablespoon of salt, and the recommended amount of ick guard. Today I will do a 50% water change and redose the ick guard. I will also dose the salt up to 2 tablespoons. Any thoughts? Anything I should be doing differently?
__________________

__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
bud29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:39 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Calypso77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 654
There's a lot of good thread on ich treatment on here if you do a search. I have seen the best being AQ Salt and heat with no meds. What does your heater sit at that you have?
__________________

__________________
Calypso77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Christopherlh84's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 112
The best way to kill it is to turn your heat up to 84 and double dose of aquarium salt wait one week and turn heat back down. And do a 50% water change.
__________________
Christopherlh84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
shellieca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Ontario, CA
Posts: 1,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud29
Well, yesterday I discovered a bad case of ich among my entire school of Emperor Tetras. I do not have a LFS in my town, so I ran to walmart to get stuff to treat it. I got aquarium salt, ich guard by jungle, and an air stone and pump. Walmart did not have a heater with an adjustable thermostat, so I did not buy one. I did find a guy on my local classifieds who was selling an adjustable one, though. I called him intending to pick it up that night but he said he is out of town and will get back wednesday. So, I will have to wait to crank up the heat. Last night I put in 1 tablespoon of salt, and the recommended amount of ick guard. Today I will do a 50% water change and redose the ick guard. I will also dose the salt up to 2 tablespoons. Any thoughts? Anything I should be doing differently?
What size tank & what kind of fish? I've not dealt with Ich but everything I've read on here says slowly raise the temp to 86, good vacuuming, lots of water changes & continue for at least a week after the last spots are seen. Just keep in mind not all fish can tolerate the heat or the salt. The Ich will get worse before it gets better & if I remember correctly it can take 2-3 weeks to get rid of.
__________________
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:10 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Calypso77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopherlh84 View Post
The best way to kill it is to turn your heat up to 84 and double dose of aquarium salt wait one week and turn heat back down. And do a 50% water change.
Pretty sure you want it between 86-88. And most time longer then a week.
__________________
Calypso77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:12 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Calypso77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
What size tank & what kind of fish? I've not dealt with Ich but everything I've read on here says slowly raise the temp to 86, good vacuuming, lots of water changes & continue for at least a week after the last spots are seen. Just keep in mind not all fish can tolerate the heat or the salt. The Ich will get worse before it gets better & if I remember correctly it can take 2-3 weeks to get rid of.
+1...........
__________________
Calypso77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:48 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bud29's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: In a van, down by the river
Posts: 3,673
Send a message via Yahoo to bud29
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
What size tank & what kind of fish? I've not dealt with Ich but everything I've read on here says slowly raise the temp to 86, good vacuuming, lots of water changes & continue for at least a week after the last spots are seen. Just keep in mind not all fish can tolerate the heat or the salt. The Ich will get worse before it gets better & if I remember correctly it can take 2-3 weeks to get rid of.
29 gallon: 8 silvertip tetras, 8 Emperor Tetras, 1 Bolivian Ram, 3 apple snails, one amano shrimp.

I am getting my heater today or tomorrow and will then raise the temp. I am currently just using salt and ich guard, doing daily 50%water changes. I will stop using the ich guard after I get the heater. I moved the inverts to a 5 gallon for right now because of the salt.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
bud29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:05 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 17
I recently had a minor bout with ich too. I tried ich meds to get rid of it, which was not only unsuccessful in getting rid of the ich, but cost me a few of my lovely African cichlids. I then did research (I should have done to begin with) and raised my temps to 86-88 degrees for a little over two weeks ( I already had salt in the water). The ich is gone and the fish seemed to love the higher temps. As others have said here, don't forget the water changes. Best of luck to you. Let us know how it turns out.
__________________

__________________
justjames76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×