Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-06-2005, 10:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

My first Ich infestation!

I am positive that my fish have Ich! I have some Ick Away with 0.075% malachite green. I put the recommened dose in 1tsp:10gal. Upped the water temp (it's now up to 75). Added 1tsp salt. Removed the carbon filter. I tried to add more air stones, but I couldn't get my gang valve to work. (I have hatchetfish and am worried the increase in temp will lower the oxygen level too much for them and therefore, stress them out even more).

After I added the malachite green, I read the bottle and it said "Do not use on tetras". Well, of course, I have Red-Eyed Tetras. My own stupid fault for not reading thoroughly first.

Does this sound like I'm doing everything I can or something I should not have done?

Am I using the best medication or a medication that is too strong?

Help!,

Michelle

Old 01-06-2005, 10:49 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showqu...q=2&fldAuto=32

Read through this article, if you haven't already. It will tell you all you need to know about treatment of ich, and ways which to do it succesfully.

Ich dies off in high temperatures. Salt is also an effective treatment. I would raise your temp still, a degree or so an hour as not to shock your fish, until you get atleast close to 80 degrees. I'm not sure about the hatchetfish and heat though, sorry.

Malachite Green is a strong medicine...always try without meds if you can.

good luck.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 06:39 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for the advice Devilishturtle. i appreciate it. (PS i love your signature. So very true)

I've ben reading that Ich usually includes an underlying illness. Well, I've been concerned that my tetras have fin rot and that one of my danio's has cotton mouth. Sould I treat for this as well as the Ich?

Grcias
Old 01-07-2005, 12:46 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Upped the water temp (it's now up to 75).
That may be a factor in your fish's poor health. Tropical fish should be kept at 78-80 degrees. What are the water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)?

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 02:17 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yesterday the readings were as follows:

NH3/NH4 = 0.25
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 0

The temp this AM was still only 75. I think I need a more reliable heater.

The fish actually looked better this morning. I saw less lesions on the hatchetfish, at least. The Tetras seemed stressed, but not different from how they have been since I brought them home.

I plan on checking the parameters again when I get home tonight.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:31 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

A lot of the text books state that tropical fish temps should be between 72-77, but I personally keep all my tanks at 78. My ram tank is at 80 and all my tanks have an airstone in case of emergency for that additional aeration.

I would suggest you slowly raise your temp up to at least 80, but ideally you have a better chance of killing ich at around 84-86, IMO.

If you can't put an airstone in and if you have a HOB, you could drop the level of the water to create more O2 that way.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:45 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

My ich infiltration already looks under control. I didn't expect it to get better so quick. My fish already look happy. I plan on keeping the temp up around 80, now. thanks for the advice.

Tags
ich, infestation

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com