my first parasite..?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishnova

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have one female guppy that has recently changed her behavior from active to a bit more sluggish...

I looked closer, only to be horrified by the site of a white string coming from her anus!!! It does not look like any of the parasites I have ever seen...

No clamped fins, water parameters are, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 10 ppm nitrates Ph 8.2. She almost looks like how they describe livebearers who are about to give birth.

If it is indeed a parasite, can it affect my inverts? Or does that depend on the species of parasite?

I will try posting a picture.

Inverts are not carriers of most fish diseases so they should be fine. White, stringy poop & sluggish behavior is usually indicative of an internal parasite issue. Im not sure where you are located to advise on meds- some countries are very strict in respect to their availibilty.

USA, cali
What medications are most effective, but safest to my inverts/bb??

I would give the Jungle Meds anti-parasitic food a try if your fish is still eating. Its available in most petsmarts/online. If your fish is not eating, then i would look into metronizadole treatment for your water. I believe Tetra makes a parasite-guard treatment for your water with metro in it. If you cant find it in chain store, Drs Foster & Smith company carrys both online. Good luck & let us know how this works out for you!

Thanks, I will try the food as my guppy is still eating..

Thanks guys
I will update

My guppy sheva is becoming more active, the others are perfectly fine. I have started parasite treatment yesterday... Three are pregnant, and the one who is sluggish is not.

So far, I am seeing improvement :)

I started treatment the day before yesterday with the parasite guard food, three straight days a week for four weeks
Yesterday was my guppies nls pellets day...their regular diet

Everything was going well until this morning! Saw one of my pregnant guppies lying between a plant and driftwood... AND one of my rcs dead ): can the medicated food affect my shrimp if they eat it???

My guppy appears to be struggling to swim, but everyone else seem fine! Even the guppy who started out sluggish is a lot more active...

Parameters are..
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 10
Ph 8.2
Temperature is at 80f
Did a 50% pwc yesterday, made sure to wash my hands with boiling water like I always do ...added prime too...

Anyone have any ideas?

Hmm...the med food def could have affected the shrimp. I am not sure what is wrong with your preg guppy though. Perhaps the affects of pregnancy? I have never dealt with guppies so I do not know if this is normal or if something else is amiss. Your water looks good so this is not an issue. Hopefully, someone else with guppy experience will help out!

Well, my guppy is fine and acting like nothing happened! *sigh*

Rcs is still dead though ):
Had them for about a month now, maybe bad stock...

Back
Top Bottom