Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-26-2012, 11:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

My fish are dull and don't move much

Recently the fish in my tank have lost all there beautiful bright colours! My red tail sharks tail is a light almost transparent orange and a lot of my cardinals are very dull! The don't swim around that much anymore and look like they are in pain! Anyone here that can give me a hand on what to do! I believe they recently had ich and u have my temperature right now at 86! Any help is appreciated!!

Old 04-27-2012, 03:48 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Could be wrong, but it seems that the temp is a bit high for their tastes, (should be upper 70s IMO). Also, dullness is a sign of stress, so there are some things to check. First, how big is the tank? What are your parameters, ph, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? How stocked are you, I don't believe red tailed sharks are good choices for community tanks, but i'm sure someone with more experience could divulge more on that.

Never in the field of human conflict has so much been by so many to so few- Winston Churchill. "Give a person a fish, they'll be happy for a while. Teach them to breed 'em, they'll be happy forever" -Me
derail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:52 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsjimmy24
Recently the fish in my tank have lost all there beautiful bright colours! My red tail sharks tail is a light almost transparent orange and a lot of my cardinals are very dull! The don't swim around that much anymore and look like they are in pain! Anyone here that can give me a hand on what to do! I believe they recently had ich and u have my temperature right now at 86! Any help is appreciated!!
What is your water testing at ?
What size tank ?
What fish ?
How often do you change water ?

Cardinals like 80-84f
If the Ich is gone slowly lower the temp.
Most fish prefer 76-78f

The hotter the water, the less oxygen there is.
Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:36 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

75 gallon
Clown loach still has spots!
Ammonia is safe ph is actually high at 8.2 but I read that's not a big deal

10 cardinals, 10 rummy nose, 10 cherry barbs, 3 Congo tetras, 3 Corey's, 1 pleco, 1 red tail and 1 clown loach
Old 04-27-2012, 09:49 AM   #5
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

What are your exact readings for ammonia, nitrite & nitrate? What are you using to test (liquid or strips)? How long has this tank been set up? There is no such thing as a 'safe' level of ammonia. Ammonia and nitrite should be zero and nitrates 20ppm or lower. If you are getting detectable levels of ammonia and/or nitrite, this is a primary reason for the reason your fish are dull and stressed in addition to possible ich. Start with a 50% water change with temperature-matched, properly conditioned water asap. Some more info will help as well!
Old 04-27-2012, 10:02 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsjimmy24 View Post
I believe they recently had ich and u have my temperature right now at 86! Any help is appreciated!!
Did you get these fish from someone else? What do you mean, you believe they recently had ich? You're not sure?
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:26 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

They have had iCh and the clown loach is the only one still showing signs all my other fish just lok beat! The fish are from an aquarium store!
Old 04-27-2012, 10:28 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

How often do you change your water?
Old 04-27-2012, 10:29 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlk View Post
What are your exact readings for ammonia, nitrite & nitrate?

What are you using to test (liquid or strips)?

How long has this tank been set up?

There is no such thing as a 'safe' level of ammonia. Ammonia and nitrite should be zero and nitrates 20ppm or lower. If you are getting detectable levels of ammonia and/or nitrite, this is a primary reason for the reason your fish are dull and stressed in addition to possible ich. Start with a 50% water change with temperature-matched, properly conditioned water asap. Some more info will help as well!
We could really use the answers to the above questions in order to better help you.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:08 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Tank has been established for a month I have tester charts in my aquarium! They always read the water levels

Tags
fish, move

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com