My fish are sick and dying!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NB94

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Yesterday, when I came home from work, I went to feed my fish and they were all sick! I look at and feed my fish every morning before work and before I go to bed. They seemed normal to me and then suddenly my whole tank was infected! I did reasearch and believe my fish have the "ick". They have white spots on them and their coloring is faded. I went to my local pet store and talked to them and they told me to purchase Marineland Ick Remedy. It was too late for my one tetra :( I woke up this morning and my second tetra is gone. I'm left with one tetra and my betta. My tetra is breathing rapidly and is staying in one spot. My betta is just resting on the rocks, but seems to be the healthiest. So, my question is, is there anything else I should be doing, besides the Ick Remedy?
Thank you!
-Nicole

Yesterday, when I came home from work, I went to feed my fish and they were all sick! I look at and feed my fish every morning before work and before I go to bed. They seemed normal to me and then suddenly my whole tank was infected! I did reasearch and believe my fish have the "ick". They have white spots on them and their coloring is faded. I went to my local pet store and talked to them and they told me to purchase Marineland Ick Remedy. It was too late for my one tetra :( I woke up this morning and my second tetra is gone. I'm left with one tetra and my betta. My tetra is breathing rapidly and is staying in one spot. My betta is just resting on the rocks, but seems to be the healthiest. So, my question is, is there anything else I should be doing, besides the Ick Remedy?
Thank you!
-Nicole

If you don't have sensitive plants/fish you could treat the tank with aquarium salt, and raise the temperature to above 86F. Use the medication as directed and then put some fresh carbon in the filter to remove the meds after the treatment.

I have had luck with both approaches - meds and high temp/salt.

Some also say clean, frequent water changes can help.

The salt method has always worked for me. It's cheap and fairly quick. The salt also helps the fish with the healing process.

Tetras would not like salt, they enjoy soft water
Dosing an ick med along with salt is somewhat overkill (rapid cure, rid-ick, both have malachite green, a salt based medicine dye)

Thank you!
-Nicole
Clean the tank and filter, tubes, hoses, do a water change. Add Aquarium salt, dissolve in a bowl with same temp water. And turn the light off. 2-3 days. When you start seeing white spots going away, vacuum the bottom and do another water change. Keep them free of stress. If you do meds. Clean the tank and filter first.

Back
Top Bottom