My fish has a strange lump!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caliroadrunner

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone, I just joined Aquarium Advice. My 6yr old daughter has had 3 goldies for about 8 months. Last week (at the advice from petsmart) I placed a container with salt inside the tank because one of the fish was stressed out. Everything was fine until one of the other fish banged into the container, freaked out banged into the tank wall and started twirling and swimming upside down till he calmed down. I thought he was going to die (belly up) but luckily he seemed to recover. Well 3 days later I noticed that he has a large lump on the side of his head, and he acts like he can't see anymore (bangs into the tank walls, swims only along the length of the tank next to the tank walls, food just passes in front or beside him but he doesn't reach for it just opens his mouth to eat) I added melafx and salt to the tank, but today the lump is bigger than yesterday. Should I have him checked out? Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do about this? Will it go away? Do you think he will die? Any help would be greatly appreciated! We have come to love our goldies very much and are sad and worried that he may be suffering. Thanks for any and all feedback! :(

Don't know what to say...it basically sounds like an internal injury. If it is an internal injury then I am not sure you can do anything about it. I think only time will tell if the fish is recovering or getting worse. I would try to keep the water as clean as possible to keep the fish from stressing...maybe you can also buy some stress coat and add some to the tank...I would also suggest emailing the guys at aquariumfish.net...the two brothers running the web site are pro's and answer most emails within 24 hours. Hope your fish recovers.

Thanks for the advice, I'll email them right away. I placed the injured goldfish in a seperate tank now because the bump is turning red and i'm afraid it might get infected and possibly get the other fish sick too. I hope he doesn't stress out from being seperated from his brothers! Thanks again! :)

Back
Top Bottom