My fish has Ick!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishygirl17

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I was sitting, watching the Olympics, when I glanced at my tank and noticed one of my fish has a terrible case of Ick! I immediately took out the filters (which were covered in snails - yuck!) and put in the Ich treatment.

This is my favorite fish! I've had a few cases of this before, (usually whenever we add new fish - which we did about 2 weeks ago) but none of them have had it this bad before.

She is also the only one in the tank with white spots. Do you think she'll make it through this alright?

Also - what can I do about the snails?

2wd69u9.jpg

2l9peo1.jpg

I'm actually really concerned about my fish. I now noticed that there is a white spot on her eyeball (not pictured). I tried to take a photo but she wouldn't stay still long enough.

My sister-in-law thinks it's worse than Ick.

Can anybody please tell me what this is?

Last edited by a moderator:
It does not look quite like ich. Not enough spots. Maybe a bacterial or fungal infection. I'm not good with diagnosis or treatment. I always quarantine new arrivals a couple of weeks. Hopefully other responses will come in.
About the snails, it may be a sign that you are over feeding the fish. Drop in some lettuce (sink it) and remove it the next day. It should be covered with snails.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I agree with not enough spots. Today, I lost both of my male guppies and yesterday I lost my Blue Ram to ick. They were absolutely covered and have been for almost a week before dying.

This is a bacterial infection called "columnaris"
It is curable, with, the CORRECT antibiotics
Maracyn-2 "minocycline"
Kanaplex "kanamycin"
Terramycin -"OXYtetracycline"

As always make sure to do a PWC before treatment and remove any carbon, check the filter pad for charcol, cut the bottom off and remove it.
Methylene Blue can be given as a bath to remove the "fungus" (water mould) that grows on the dead outside skin, tho keep in mind BACTERIA is the true culprit eating the fish's skin and gills. Once the bacteria is stopped, the fungus will naturally fall off.

Better yet if the fish are still eating, (or if you notice this earlier on in the future) use an antibiotic feed.
Antibiotic Fish Flake Food

To everybody who's saying it's not Ick -

Whenever we've seen white spots (even if just a few), we did Ick treatment and it went away. As of this morning, some of the white spots are gone (not all).

My mom's going to get a Treat-All antibiotic medicine that we are going to start on Tuesday if the spots aren't gone by then.

Thanks for all of your replies though!

Too me, there is cottony fluff in its mouth, and the tail is rotting. This is not a sign of ick. It could be ick and some secondary bacterial infection from the stress.
Hope it makes it.
You shouldn't be mixing meds tho either..... unless they specifically say they can be mixed.

Here's a picture of her today after two days of Ick treatment.

2cfp92h.jpg

A majority of the white spots are gone, but all that's left is whatever is going on with her eye.

Ick has a life cycle just like you and me. I did everything to a T and still lost my GBR (I expected to since they're sensitive) and two guppies but 3 of my 5 tetras didn't even get it and both of them and my sword tail are all fine now but it wasn't after about 6 days of 86 degrees and treatment later that my fish got healthy. Crazier stuff has happened :) good to see your fish healthy nonetheless.

Everything I have read has said it's not gonna happen overnight and mine sure as hell didn't lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm actually really concerned about my fish. I now noticed that there is a white spot on her eyeball (not pictured). I tried to take a photo but she wouldn't stay still long enough.

My sister-in-law thinks it's worse than Ick.

Can anybody please tell me what this is?
So if its just ick, why did you ask this?
And i could only see one upside-down picture of the molly, sorry that i was wrong, it rarely happens.
Good to hear about the ick med working.

So if its just ick, why did you ask this?
And i could only see one upside-down picture of the molly, sorry that i was wrong, it rarely happens.
Good to hear about the ick med working.

Well I was concerned about her since none of my other fish had ever been that bad, and it looked worse than Ick so I asked for a second opinion.

I looked up what everybody said but none of the pictures for everything else resembled what she had, so we're sticking to the Ick and she's getting better.

And it's okay! Thank you

Back
Top Bottom