My fish keep dying??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The 15 fish died over the course of a month. The only extra fish that survived were the BN pleco, Rainbow Shark and Rosy Barbs

SHRIMP17 said:
The 15 fish died over the course of a month. The only extra fish that survived were the BN pleco, Rainbow Shark and Rosy Barbs

I understand, I just wanted to know what died. It may help us figure out why.

Yes i use API and the Nitrates were between 0-10 not exactly on either? However if it is a mini cycle what should i do?

SHRIMP17 said:
How do i get my Ammonia to 0??? I do weekly water changes and ad dechlorinator.

In a fully cycled tank your Ammonia would zero out within a few hours to a day.

When I perform a 50% PWC on my 200litre using PRIME it takes roughly 5hours for the 0.25Ammonia reading to zero out.

Jon

You really need to take longer when you aclimatise the fish, a minimum of 30 minutes is recommended and more water into the bag at intervals and leave the light off for half hour after the fish is introduced. This may help in future but probably not the cause of the fish deaths.

Your tank can't possibly be cycled if you have any ammonia. Like everyone else has said, it could be mini cycles, but I'm curious, how many of these 15+ fish (including the ones that lived) did you introduce at one time? (meaning over the course of a week or two) If it was more than 3 or 4 your bio load probably couldn't handle it and judging by your not knowing what to do in the event of ammonia (which is a (many) large water change(s) until it reads zero, and then again the next day, and again, and so forth until you have 0 ammonia over the course of a week or two with daily testing) I'd say it's most likely ammonia poisoning, adding a lot of fish in a short period of time is bound to disrupt your cycle even if it was stellar for months

Hi in my 40g aquarium i have:
1 Sailfin Dalmation Molly
3 Rosy Barbs
1 Rainbow Shark
1 Bristlenose Pleco
1 Common Pleco (Added 3 days ago)
1 Bamboo Shrimp

Just to chime in here... Do you have plans for a larger tank? A common pleco doesn't belong in a 40g aquarium. They need 125+ gallons. The bristlenose should be fine for your tank size.

Back
Top Bottom