My fish looks sick help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

damo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have 6 black mollies 3 of them have what looks like a white patch on their back they didn't have this a few days ago can someone please tell me what it is and also dose my bala shark look healthy it seems to be pale. i have 6 mollies two red tails two bala sharks 5 tiger barbs and two pleco

Attachments

• photo 5(1).jpg
    photo 5(1).jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 94
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 90
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 88
my tank is 60L / 2ft and my fish are no older than 2months and before you say anyfink about my tanks to small i will be upgrading to a 125L in a few months

I don't want to nag and I am trying to be helpful in educating you about your fish, but apparently you did not research your fish. Balas get over a foot long, should be in a group of 3 and needs minimum 473 L tank, red tail sharks get 4-7 inches and need a minimum 190 L tank for 1 and they are very aggressive toward each other in particular. Mollies should be in brackish water.

I can not tell by the photos what is on the Mollies, nor the Bala

First glance without even talking water parameters like every one likes to ask about, your fish will be stressed in the living conditions you have provided, which could led to disease and death.

hey damo! Welcome to AA. I hope we can figure out what's going on with your fish! Some of the things that will help us better are to know what your water parameters test as (ammonia, nitrite, nitrAte, pH). To me it looks a little like fungus, but I really can't tell by the pictures. The first thing I would do is to make sure your water quality is good. This is the basis for good fish health! I'm glad to hear you are upgading your tank, as it is heavily stocked with just the mollies alone! They will appreciate the bigger tank size :) The heavy bio-load in this tank (too much poop, too little water :) ) is probably a big contributor to why you are seeing disease pop up in the tank.

The other thing I would mention is unfortunately Pamiam is right about bala sharks and red tails. (though I disagree about mollies, they benefit from a little salt, but don't need brackish water)
The pet store duped you :(
Bala sharks need a minimum of 200 gallons (757 liters), grow to be over a foot (35 cm), need to be kept in groups of the same species, and are very active. IMO pet shops should not even allow them as they are not suitable for the aquarium. Learn more about balas here.
Red Tails average 6 inches (15cm), will mostly chase fish away from their territory and then retreat; therefore, it is important to ensure the aquarium is large enough to allow the redtail some space to call its territory. When two red tails cohabitate, they have been known to become extremely territorial with one another. One shark will become dominant and will continually chase and harass the submissive shark, preventing it from feeding and resting. This will often result in the death of the submissive redtail shark. Aquariums should be at least 45 gallons (170 litres) or larger for a comfortable community. Redtails are bottom dwellers, so it is strongly suggested that one does not introduce them into an aquarium with another bottom dweller, as they will constantly pester and harass it. They also should not be introduced to communities containing other shark-like fish.

I would take them (the sharks) back if your not considering getting a HUGE tank.
Again, water quality issues are probably the underlying cause of your fishes looking sick, because of the huge bio-load (lets admit too, mollies are eating and pooping machines! :D). Try doing a water change (50%), get your water tested, post your results and hopefully we can help you lots! Good luck, I love black mollies :)
EDIT: if you don't have a test kit, most fish stores will test it for free, just make sure to write down the results so you don't forget!

i did a 50% water change 2 days ago i have a api master test kit but i not tested my tank for 4 weeks im going to test it tonight and will let you know the results. i no its not good to have more than one redtail in my tank i only did that beacuse he was chasing my tiger barbs and now there is two no fish in my tank are being attacted i have even seen them mating a good few times yeah you get the odd split fin but apart from that all my fish get on

i just seen that my mollies now have white fins i tested my water tonight
PH 7.8. AMMONIA 0.25 NITRATE 0. NITRITE 0

Sorry but I'm not sure what pH is acceptable for your setup, but i personally stay between 6.8 and 7.2 for the sake of consistency

Sent from my N9510 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Oh is fine as long as you acclimate your fish properly. A stable ph is much more desirable then a flutating ph. Discus breed in 7.8 so you have nothing to worry about as far as ph.

my ph level has been the same for 2months before that it was 8

but i realy want to know about my mollies white fins

thanks that link was helpfull i think i have Fish Fungus how do i get rid of it

It could be a fungus or bacterial infection, I would suggest doing water changes to help eliminate the amount of fungus or bacteria. Each type of infection has different treatment and some are not compatible with some species of fish.

I don't know if you have downsize of stock, this will really help also.

You can look up treatments on the internet, here is another good site:Aquarium Fish Diseases and How to Spot Them | Tetra Aquarium

I hope this helps and good luck

im picking up sone anti-fungus medication tomorrow to help get rid

my mollies eye popping out they have white fins and white cotton like patches on their body some realy bad dose any one know a good product that can help me

You should add the salt and do what I said! It worked with my discus and they are way more sensitive to disease then your mollies. Also the salt help to release the pressure behind the eye causing it to pop

Edit: I am so sorry my iPod closed on me and never sent the message about salt and such. I would start doing 50%water changes daily and add salt at 1 tblspn per 10 gallons. When you do a pwc you need to replace the same amount of salt you would have taken out. If you already started your meds I would continue with it. You can still add the salt though. What type of med do you have? Some will treat Popeye also.

just brought some interpet anti fungus and fin rod treatment 100 ml

Back
Top Bottom