My Glofish's Eye Popped Out???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeknightica

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi! So, I have three little Glofish (Apple, Banana, and Peach) that live with four other fish, two painted glass tetras, a three-spot gourami, and a black and marbled angelfish. It's a fifteen gallon column tank, so everyone has enough room. It's relatively new, I just got the tank a few weeks ago, and the Glofish and tetras are the newest additions from about a week ago. I haven't had any problems before either. I just recently tested my water, and it's fine.

This morning, I got up to feed my fish, and Peach's left eye is almost completely out of his head! I don't think that he can see out of it or at least not very well because there's a translucent film over it. He swims in loose circles to see everything and still plays with the other Glofish. A few days ago, I thought that he had white spot on his fins, but they cleared up. Now there's just a few tiny ones on the gill flap around the affected eye. What's going on, and is it contagious?? I couldn't get a picture because he moves too fast. Thanks for your help! :}

Probably popeye..A bacterial issue often very hard to cure.
It in itself is not always contagious ,BUT it is usually from poor water quality so I would change water regardless of test results ..
Are you using strips to test? they are often not accurate.
This is a good read;
Popeye Disease In Fish | Petcha

Thanks for the article! I'm leaning towards physical damage because all of my Glofish rough house very often. I quarantined him, and I'm currently giving him meds for his eye cloud. His swelling in going down, and the fogginess is clearing up nicely.

I just recently did a 25% water change, but I'm going to take your advice and do another just in case. Thanks for your help!! :}

Bulged out, I guess that I should have been more clear, my bad. ^ ^'

Back
Top Bottom