MY goldfish is acting odd

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joeybsmooth

Aquarium Advice Freak
First off this goldfish tail just started to bend, so he tail is at like 90 degrees. I have asked about that before on here , but I was just given background just in case.

NOw this little guy is swimming in rings , doing like jumping backflips and all this other odd stuff. Does anyone know what could be going on?

:thanks:

In my experience when this happened to mine the following happens.

1. You receive advice it's swim bladder
2. You try unsuccessfully to feed it peas
3. It dies

:(

I will try this, but I had a fish have issues with his bladder before, but this seems different. He is still swimming, he is just swimming erratically. I hope it is not the bladder, that almost never ends well.

What is the size of the tank the goldfish is in and how many goldfish are there? What type of goldfish is it?

Edit: I just read your profile so I'm going to assume that it's in the 60 gallon tank with the turtles. I would guess that your goldfish's tail was physically injured by the turtle.

What are your parameters? What type of goldfish? How old is it?

Erratic swimming is indicative of toxin exposure. A bent or curved spine is typically the result of stunting. Swimbladder is a 'catch all' phrase used to identify any problem with a goldfish and really does not mean anything specific.

Swimbladder is a disease caused by either, feeding issues, parasites or bacteria.. the way to cure is peas or daphnia.

The term swimbladder is just a phrase. Buoyancy issues in goldfish have various causes from physical conformation to temperature, toxin levels, water depth/pressure, improper diet/feeding schedule, infections, injury, etc. Improper diet issues can be addressed as well as temperature and depth but permanent damage and conformation issues can not be fixed.

Feeding goldfish peas is fine but their high sugar content can cause other issues. Spinach or other dark green leafy veggies are preferred for addressing buoyancy issues when its dietary related.

Swimbladder is not simply a phrase. It is an organ in most fish species, that helps control their bouyancy. Like most organs it can be injured, become diseased, have genetic weaknesses or be compromised in function by other causes.

Constipation, often caused by improper feeding, or sometimes by conformation of the fish, can put pressure on the bladder and show up as one or more issues with swimming, and this is not uncommon in gold fish, particularly the short bodied fancy ones.

Swim bladder is blamed for many things, especially in gold fish, and I do agree it is not always the problem, but it's a real organ, not a phrase.

Cooked, skinned peas are a common remedy used by many fish keepers for constipation, in discus and other species besides goldfish.

I can't comment on how effective they are, or even if they are the best remedy, but it's certainly one often seen mentioned.

Feeding high quality food and trying to incorporate as much of the kind of food the fish would eat in nature is, IMO, always better than feeding an entirely man made diet. Some goldfish, due to their conformation, which is the result of selective breeding by humans, don't have a real stomach, so in these fish, feeding is even more important, as food goes directly to the intestine, without predigestion in the stomach.

Some fish seem to have more issues related to swim bladders than others, but diagnosis in fish is often difficult. We have few vets who treat fish we can access, many symptoms with many possible causes, and few really effective remedies for serious afflictions. Observation and keeping records of what you did with the tank or fish in question before symptoms showed up might be useful, but many fish keepers are not great record keepers. So we do the best we can based on the information we are given or have and in many cases, fish get better without help or in spite of anything we do.

And sometimes they don't get better, which is sad, but it's life too.

Swimbladder is not simply a phrase. It is an organ in most fish species, that helps control their bouyancy. Like most organs it can be injured, become diseased, have genetic weaknesses or be compromised in function by other causes.

Constipation, often caused by improper feeding, or sometimes by conformation of the fish, can put pressure on the bladder and show up as one or more issues with swimming, and this is not uncommon in gold fish, particularly the short bodied fancy ones.

Swim bladder is blamed for many things, especially in gold fish, and I do agree it is not always the problem, but it's a real organ, not a phrase.

Cooked, skinned peas are a common remedy used by many fish keepers for constipation, in discus and other species besides goldfish.

I can't comment on how effective they are, or even if they are the best remedy, but it's certainly one often seen mentioned.

Feeding high quality food and trying to incorporate as much of the kind of food the fish would eat in nature is, IMO, always better than feeding an entirely man made diet. Some goldfish, due to their conformation, which is the result of selective breeding by humans, don't have a real stomach, so in these fish, feeding is even more important, as food goes directly to the intestine, without predigestion in the stomach.

Some fish seem to have more issues related to swim bladders than others, but diagnosis in fish is often difficult. We have few vets who treat fish we can access, many symptoms with many possible causes, and few really effective remedies for serious afflictions. Observation and keeping records of what you did with the tank or fish in question before symptoms showed up might be useful, but many fish keepers are not great record keepers. So we do the best we can based on the information we are given or have and in many cases, fish get better without help or in spite of anything we do.

And sometimes they don't get better, which is sad, but it's life too.

I never stated swimbladder organs do not exist (although there are species of fish that do not have these organs). I stated, swimbladder as in swimbladder 'disease', is a catch all phrase thrown around the net to describe just about any affliction a goldfish may suffer from.

As it relates to constipation, its more typical that the food fermenting in the digestive tract that releases gas in the intestines themselves causing buoyancy issues. Or a fish gulping bubbles or air at that surface that results in air accumulating in the digestive tract resulting in buoyancy problems. Unless the fish is so stuffed with food, the intestines will place little to no pressure on the swimbladder organs.

If this was the case and the intestines did compress the organs, the result would not be a floating fish but a fish that would be unable to swim and bottom sit or swim below or above the horizon as the air within the organs would be pushed into an odd position with the internal dorsal region.

As it pertains to the OP's query and staying on the topic of discussion, he asked about erratic swimming and a curved spine/caudal region. This has nothing to do with the swimbladder organs or fermenting food within the intestines creating buoyancy issues.

jlk, I quote the first sentence of your post. Quote " The term swimbladder is just a phrase" unquote.

I agree with most of what you said afterward, and what you said in response, but that first sentence of that post, as it reads, is not correct and that is what I responded to.

jlk, I quote the first sentence of your post. Quote " The term swimbladder is just a phrase" unquote.

I agree with most of what you said afterward, and what you said in response, but that first sentence of that post, as it reads, is not correct and that is what I responded to.

Perhaps you have misconstrued the context of my statement as I was referencing to the prior posts that used 'swimbladder' in context of disease (ie, my fish has had 'bladder' before, sb is a disease, etc- read the prior posts please). I never stated 'swimbladder organs do not exist'.

End of discussion as it has no relevance to the OP's issues. I will again ask nicely to please stay on topic. Thank you! :)

Laser-jlk- I just updated my profile. My goldie was in a 40 Gal, and he is with another goldfish and a upside down catfish. I have run out a testing sticks but I can pick some soon. I live in the docks so I will make a trip to go get them .

I would wait for JLK's response, but in the meantime I would get the water tested but how is your water change schedule? How much do you take out and how often?

Also, take the skin off of some frozen peas and cut/mash them so the goldfish can eat them. If it is a swimbladder issue then this may help, if not it won't hurt.

I personally do two 50% water changes on my 40 gallon tank with 2 goldfish. Edit: per week

Agreed! I would do some decent, daily wcs until you can get a testing kit to see what is going on in your tank.

Back
Top Bottom