My gourami has a growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hholly

Aquarium Advice Addict
Any ideas if it is fungus or bacterial? It started about 2 weeks ago. At first it looked like she had scraped a scale on something. But it was still the color of her skin. It seemed to crust over with something. Yesterday it appeared bigger and white. But it's not fuzzy. It still looks crusty, like you could scrape it off in a flake. Now I see a second smaller spot further back on the body. She is eating and acting normal. No other fish are showing signs.

Water params: ammonia-0, nitrite-0, nitrates around 40(still battling this situation), temp- 79, pH -8.3. Any help appreciated!

image-1741475214.jpg

image-2513553767.jpg

image-3479255882.jpg

Hi Holly! I will try to help. Your water parameters look good, so this is not an issue of water quality. I am venturing to guess its a bacterial infection rather than a fungus. Fungal infections are generally opportunistic when water conditions are poor and are usually secondary to bacterial issues. A simple treatment to try (only if you can manage this without overly stressing your fish) would be to dab hydrogen peroxide on the white spots 2x day. As treating your entire tank for a possible infection on a single fish is probably not ideal, your second option would be qt with antibiotics & low dose of salt (1tablsp per 10g).

Do you have any sharp decor in the tank? My peacock eel gets these, but they eventually go away so i pass them off thinking that he burrowed in the gravel and got a booboo lol

Ok, thanks so much! I'll see if it freaks her out too much with peroxide. I might go get a small QT tank today.

I would treat with just aq salt first if your going to do qt & see if this is enough to heal first before considering meds. Good luck & keep us posted!

Gboy66 said:
Do you have any sharp decor in the tank? My peacock eel gets these, but they eventually go away so i pass them off thinking that he burrowed in the gravel and got a booboo lol

She may have rubbed it in the fake coral cave. But I'm wondering why the tiny new spot appeared farther back on her flank. I hadn't worried too much till now because it seemed to crust over and then looked like the stuff flaked off. Then it would crust over again. I thought it was healing. But a few days ago it looked bigger with the new spot.

Thanks JLK, I will try the salt method. But if it grows anymore, will try the peroxide.

Back
Top Bottom