My grandmothers beta is rurning white!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok lol thanks for the info... That little skull house that's in the tank... When I cleaned his tank I put that skull in and replaced everything els the same way... I put him in the tank and he didn't see the skull at first... He swam out from behind the plant saw the skull flared his neck out And stared at it... Then he saw it didn't move so he quickly retreated back behind the plants where he looked at it from a distance... It took him over an hour before he finally went inside it lol... So I'm sure the filter will definitely make him a bit skittish at first...

You got the cowardly one! I had one like that which brought me here. My nerite touched him with a tiny feeler and he bolted into the cave and hid for a good hour. I about died laughing. All of mine panic for a while with the filter. I think they just get so used to perfectly still water and when it's now moving, they don't know what to do. They have a lovely panic attack and you'll think it's too strong for them at first. They will be fine. They just gotta realize "Hey! I can move still!" And then they're fine.

Lol that's too funny. :) ... I just hope he will b ok to swim his fins are pretty bad, and even though he is still moving around I can tell he's struggling... I just want him to get better fast.... I feel so helpless because there is only so much you can doo for him. And when ever I walk in and see him he comes over to my side of the bowl he's in for now and looks at me, and I feel like he's saying help me :( because he looks soo sad with his torn up fins and he seems to have a swollen belly as well.. He was floating when she found him and she was like the fish died.... I was like what are u sure get clean water and put him in a bowl just to be safe.... Sure enough he was alive...... I told my grandmother that if she doesn't think she can take care of him I could put him next to my other two tanks that I have in my room... And he will be well taken care of.. So well see what happens. Hopefully he has a full recovery.

Could he be blind? His fins are all healed there is no more rotting and the rest fell off... His color has returned and he looks 80% better... My first question is will his fins grow back? He lost a little less then half his fin length. And my second question is could he be blind... I drop food right in front of him and he doesn't even flinch... It's like he doesn't even see its in the water and he hasn't been eating.
Thanks for the help
Dan

Could he be blind? His fins are all healed there is no more rotting and the rest fell off... His color has returned and he looks 80% better... My first question is will his fins grow back? He lost a little less then half his fin length. And my second question is could he be blind... I drop food right in front of him and he doesn't even flinch... It's like he doesn't even see its in the water and he hasn't been eating.
Thanks for the help
Dan
I think the fins should heal with adequate water changes and using a good conditionner. As for the blindness, I wouldn't think he's blind. Try getting floating pellets, then drop them and leave so he won't be scared of approaching them. How long has he not been eating?

Ok well I did the floating pellets and he swam

Past them.... Then I went in with a net and put it right in his swimming path and he did t even get scared he swam into the net thn didn't move... Then I got him out and moved the net to words him and nothing he did t even flinch ... Here is a picture of him now... He seems fully recovered minus the fun loss... But he doesn't seem to b able to see... He hasn't been eating for 3-4 days now.

Attachments

• image-113692531.jpg
    image-113692531.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 46
Temp is 82 and the water I just changed today... I been doing content water changes so I could get the old fins out... What kind of garlic fresh or powderd?

Try again with the floating pellets and see if he eats them. Don't try to take him with the net as all you are doing is putting additional stress or scaring him more then before. If he doesn't eat remove and try again. If not, then I wouldn't know what to do, as 4 days without food is quite long for such a small fish.

Yes it is a long time with out food and ok... I wasn't trying to catch him I was trying to see if he could see where he was going.... He either bumps into it or all the walls on the tank.... he never seems to stop swimming.. I tried to feed him tonight I dropped a pellet in front of him and he went past it... I put my finger in the water and he bounced off it.... Idk if he is just swimming around or if her really can't see... Before if he even saw any movement or I went in to get him out of the tank for a tank change he wouldn't even let me get near him with the net... Now it's like he doesn't see it. I noticed before I could see his eyes moving if he was looking at things but now they never move :( I rlly think he is blind idk how but I think he is... But I'll keep trying to feed him and hopefully he'll turn around.
Thanks for all this help

Honestly, my best guess right now would be a case of cloudy eye because of the bad water conditions he was in. That limits greatly the visibility of the fish, and I have read about this multiple times. I heard about a lot of cures, such as using myxazin, and you can check this informative page about cloudy eye: Fish Cloudy Eyes

Well thanks for all the help but he died tonight :/ his outside looked healthier but internally idt he was ok.... I just hope the little guy didnt suffer... I really tried everything to try to help him.... why did the water foul so fast after a full water change like that???? And unfortunately he never got to see his new tank with the filter and real plants and new gravel... If I do get my grandmother a new beta I'll deff be testing the water every couple of days for her.... Would I need to cycle a 2.5 gal tank with a beta... And how long would it take? I thought it was a five gal tank but its only 2.5 gal... I already added the plant food for the plant neutralized the water, and added easy balance...

Well thanks for all the help but he died tonight :/ his outside looked healthier but internally idt he was ok.... I just hope the little guy didnt suffer... I really tried everything to try to help him.... why did the water foul so fast after a full water change like that???? And unfortunately he never got to see his new tank with the filter and real plants and new gravel... If I do get my grandmother a new beta I'll deff be testing the water every couple of days for her.... Would I need to cycle a 2.5 gal tank with a beta... And how long would it take? I thought it was a five gal tank but its only 2.5 gal... I already added the plant food for the plant neutralized the water, and added easy balance...
For such a small tank, cycling would be really useless, especially if you're gonna add a single betta in there. It's better just to do by-weekly water changes:)

I have a betta at work in a 2.5g. I do a 50% pwc twice a week and that keeps his water clean. When I do a pwc I use a turkey baster to suck out the waste at the bottom. I also do a 100% clean and scrub every 2 weeks. No filter, only a heater. Ideally I'd like to have him in a 5g but my desk isn't big enough.

Ok thanks... I'll try to do it twice a week but if I can't make it over to her house it will deff get once a week... I have a small filter in there so it should keep the water ok for a week.

Back
Top Bottom