My guppy's color is fading

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NeonRaccoon

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have noticed my guppy's color is fading all over a couple of days ago. this has happened before when I turned my temp up to cure ich to both of the guppies I have but then the color came back, but now it is just one of them and I haven't raised the temp but I did a 50% water change because I found out my pH was really high. I just have no idea on what to do to get his color back. Also he has still been eating and seems fine, just his color is faded.

Thanks for responding. I thought it was adjusting too, but the color still seems to still be faded. Could the fish just be going through a phase or something?

Would you have your water test results? Is the colour loss splotchy (technical term :) ) or all over. It sounds good that still eating.

I just had my water tested today after I cleaned my tank. The results were 0 nitrite and nitrate the GH was around 30 the pH and KH are very high. I'm am still trying to lower those, I'm going to try maybe RO water or spring water next water change. And the fish is faded all over, not splotchy.

Ya hopefully it comes back. Earlier his back tail fin was looking like it was drooping and he was hiding in my top corner by the heater which kinda scared me, but now he is swimming around fine again. I don't get it.

Actually just re-reading I wasn't sure if nitrate was 0? Which sounded a little low / unexpected for a cycled tank?

Normally it's something as it is the end product of the bacteria converting ammonia to nitrIte to nitrAte. Water changes plus plants are the main ways NitrAte is removed.

Perhaps it just read very low. How long has the tank been going?

Was it a strip test on piece of cardboard or a liquid based test?

It was a strip. I could be possible that it was very low. The tank has been running for about 3 weeks now and I just cleaned the gravel yesterday.

That could be it, just reading low.

3 to 6 weeks (without help) is what I see to cycle a tank so certainly possible.

Just a note if colour doesn't improve. The strips I've found can under read and often don't have ammonia which is the one really wanted. When you get a chance or at a different LFS, either purchase something like API freshwater master test kit or see if they can test for ammonia. It's easier with the test kit yourself as you can check tap water as well but I find mine only gets used once every few months now. On the other hand kh / ph I test every week as very soft water.

I was thinking about getting one of those test kits but I just didn't want to spend that much. How long will the test kit last? I did have the water tested at the lfs and they said there wasn't any ammonia.

Yes, can be a bit. eBay is the cheapest I think I have heard of. Perhaps someone here may know. Perhaps give him a few days and hopefully the colour comes back. Also you may be able to get your local tap water report online and check it is ok.

Back
Top Bottom