My ich problem..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Teejay87

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay so I guess I'll start with some background. I started a 10gal community tank about a week and a half ago. I have 4 guppies, 2 Cory cats, 3 mollies and a rock shrimp. About 3 days ago one of my female mollies started showing signs of ich. And then both of my other mollies did as well so II decided to both raise the temp to around 80. And I've been using Nox ich for a couple days, the other mollies seemed to rally fairly quick but the female that I first noticed the ich on still have quite a bit of spots.. Is it just a waiting game now or is there something else I should be doing?

Okay so I guess I'll start with some background. I started a 10gal community tank about a week and a half ago. I have 4 guppies, 2 Cory cats, 3 mollies and a rock shrimp. About 3 days ago one of my female mollies started showing signs of ich. And then both of my other mollies did as well so II decided to both raise the temp to around 80. And I've been using Nox ich for a couple days, the other mollies seemed to rally fairly quick but the female that I first noticed the ich on still have quite a bit of spots.. Is it just a waiting game now or is there something else I should be doing?
I suggest stopping the use of medication as it can affect the fish's mental state(Stress). Also, try putting it at 82 degrees, keep the water changes up, and it should leave. When all the signs of ich leave, keep the temperature+water changes for an additional week or two. Ich is tough.

I suggest stopping the use of medication as it can affect the fish's mental state(Stress). Also, try putting it at 82 degrees, keep the water changes up, and it should leave. When all the signs of ich leave, keep the temperature+water changes for an additional week or two. Ich is tough.
I agree with Fishanatic and keep the temperatures steady

I would slowly raise the temp to 86, and add some aquarium salt in there. Add a tablespoon per 5 gallons of water and stop the meds as stated. Keep up with pwc's and gravel vac's. I used this method when my old tank was taken by ich, and I didn't ever have it come back after that

In general, moving the temp to 86 will that kill some fish off since its so hot for them? and I am supposed to keep this temp for about 2 weeks and do daily pwc?

In general, moving the temp to 86 will that kill some fish off since its so hot for them? and I am supposed to keep this temp for about 2 weeks and do daily pwc?
No, keep it at 84 or 86 for only a week with daily wc and daily gravel vaccum. It shouldn't kill you're fish.

For what it's worth, I recently had an ich outbreak in my tank. 12 rummies, 5 cories, 12 neons and a pair of German Blue Rams. 56 gallon tall tank. After reading the advice on this forum, I used the "heat and salt" method of treatment.

After a few days, I saw improvement. By one week, it was entirely gone (visibly). Treated for a week following last visible spots (just to be sure) and it has not come back. My fish did great throughout. Rummies are such a nice water indicator - they were blood red in the nose throughout.

Key is to slowly raise temp and add the salt (I dosed to about 3/4 tsp. / gal. over a few days b/c my fish are sensitve) and then slowly remove salt and lower heat. Can't be sure on how all fish would react, but rummies, GBR's and Cory's can all be pretty sensitive to water conditions and salt levels, and they all did fine. Avoid the meds!

Back
Top Bottom